UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Hofstra on Senior Night, 11-6 -

Saturday, April 19, 2014

VIDEO: UMass United Rally in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

UMass celebrates 20 percent expansion of library’s Learning Commons

As part of an ongoing, five-year, $8.5-million renovation project, the University of Massachusetts celebrated a 20 percent expansion of the Learning Commons in the campus’ main library yesterday.

The 6,000 square-foot addition, which opened at the beginning of the semester, boosts available seating by 80 percent – from 250 to 450 – in the W.E.B. DuBois Library’s Learning Commons, according to a University press release.

The basement of the 26-story library added eight group study rooms bringing the total number of glass cubicles to 26.

A final phase of the library’s renovations will add more area for staff use in the Learning Commons and is expected to be completed by June, said director of development and communications for the campus’ libraries, Emily Silverman.

The $8.5 million in renovations, which began in 2005, have also improved other areas of the library, including quiet study spaces on the building’s second, third and fifth floors, Silverman said.

As a separate project, she added that the University is also exploring plans to add a small, multi-purpose auditorium to the Learning Commons.

Overall, the library’s 30,000 square-foot bottom floor houses over 200 multi-purpose work stations equipped with PCs and Macs, and offers more than 400 campus network- and Internet-enabled ports, as well as full wireless access and other high-tech study and research tools.

The Learning Commons opened in 2005 and has received $600,000 in donated software from Microsoft Corp., which designated UMass as its first Microsoft IT Showcase School.

Junior industrial engineering major Anna Vecha, 20, said she uses computers in the library at least twice a week to access the Adobe Dreamweaver software installed on campus computers and is happy to see the library is expanding its services.

“I think it’s definitely getting better. I didn’t have to wait at all [for an open computer],” she said, while working at a station in the recently renovated area. “But, I think that it may also be because a lot of students don’t know about [the addition], yet.”

Chancellor Robert C. Holub and Provost James V. Staros joined Libraries Director Jay Schafer and other campus community members for Monday’s celebration of the expansion.

Schafer said the Learning Commons’ impact on student academic life has been “nothing less than dramatic.”

“This is a groundbreaking approach,” he said in the release. “We have been able to tap the latest technology to shape an environment in which students have convenient access to information, and a space where they are able to work together and to consult with faculty and staff in ways that allow them to thrive intellectually and creatively.”

Learning Commons coordinator Carol Will said staff and student employees are encouraged to watch for those in need of help.

“You’ll notice this is not a really quiet space now. We want people to be able to talk and work together and collaborate,” said Learning Commons coordinator Carol Will in the release. “Everyone has to be on the lookout for people who look lost or hesitant. We welcome questions and we want to help. We have new users in here every day, and we never tire of the questions.”

Matt Rocheleau can be reached at mrochele@dailycollegian.com.

One Response to “UMass celebrates 20 percent expansion of library’s Learning Commons”
  1. BTW says:

250 to 450 is an 80% increase fyi