DEVELOPING: Police investigating apparent death in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Duolingo makes learning a language easier -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s swimming and diving falls to Army; women’s team gets revenge -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass field hockey gets back to .500 with win over BU Sunday -

Monday, October 20, 2014

‘Columbus Day’ demonstrates ignorant view of the past -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students for Justice in Palestine aims to spread awareness, not argue -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Mending fences: SGA and Amherst officials work together to improve town/gown relations -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer drops 5-0 decision to Saint Louis -

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Phablet continues to grow and maintain popularity -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dayton Flyers soar at Rudd Field, 4-1 over the Minutemen -

Sunday, October 19, 2014

UMass football’s Sharpe continues his banner season in 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Shadrach Abrokwah has career day in UMass football’s 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan. -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

UMass tops Eastern Michigan 36-14, puts together first FBS winning streak -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Minutemen fall to Dayton 4-1 due to sloppy start -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

UMass preparing for conference championships

In approximately a week and a half, the Massachusetts men’s swimming and diving team will attempt to win an unprecedented fourth-straight Atlantic 10 title. But as the race gets closer, the Minutemen continue to simply prepare themselves one day at a time. The A-10 Championships will be held in Buffalo, N.Y., on Feb. 17-20.

“As long as you’ve done the work, there’s no such thing as too much rest,” said UMass men’s coach Russ Yarworth.

The Minutemen didn’t compete in the New England Invitational over the weekend, and will go into the A-10 Championships with more than two weeks since their last meet. Throughout the season coaches Bob Newcomb and Yarworth have stressed that the vigorous schedule, which is composed of dual meets and invitationals against strong programs out of the conference, are ultimately preparation for the Minutemen for the conference championships. Nevertheless, UMass hopes the time off will help rejuvenate their bodies and keep them sharp, as they remain focused on their ultimate goal.

The Massachusetts womens swimming and diving team had a strong showing in the race, finishing fourth in the meet, which was also held in Buffalo last year.

Six members of the Minutewomen competed in the New England Invitational over the weekend. The invitational was held in Chestnut Hill, Mass., and featured several schools from the Northeast. Swim programs from Keene State College in New Hampshire, as well as Providence College and Bryant University in Rhode Island, and host Boston College competed in Saturday’s meet.

The Minutewomen took advantage of the opportunity to hit the water and performed well. Sophomore Dorothy Polatin had a very strong day, as she emerged victorious in the 500 yard freestyle. She did so in impressive fashion, defeating the second-place finisher by nearly six seconds, while also placing third in the 200 yard freestyle event.

The first event of the day was the 200 freestyle relay, with the quartet of senior Ashley Dress, freshman Erin Phinney, Lauren Mark and Dorothy Polatin finishing second with a time of 1:46:55. The team was slightly more than two seconds behind first place finisher BC. In the 100 yard breaststroke, freshman Lauren Mark finished forth with a time of 1:10:22.  Freshman Danielle Sekurski competed in the 200 women’s butterfly event and placed fifth.

Several of the Minutewomen who competed in the race on Saturday will be instrumental to the team next season, as they will attempt to fill the spots of five graduating seniors.

Jeffrey Engmann can be reached via email at jengmann@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “UMass preparing for conference championships”
  1. Bee says:

I believe the men’s team won 4 consecutive A-10 championships from 2002 to 2005, so while it’s still an impressive feat, it’s not unprecedented.

2. facts says:

yes but they have also won it 12 times in the last 16 years. seems unprecedented to me.