UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Heavy fire in Presidential Apartments leaves tenants displaced

A heavy fire broke out at the Presidential Apartments in Amherst Saturday night causing severe damage, and though no one was injured, tenants from four apartment units have been displaced since.

Town firefighters responded to multiple emergency calls just before 10 p.m Saturday and found smoke seeping out of unit 54 on the first floor into the hallway and neighboring apartments.

After forcing entry into the unit, firefighters found the source of the flames to be a couch in the living room, said Assistant Fire Chief James Johnson. The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes, Johnson said; but officials also needed to force entry into three other apartments to check for occupants.

The tenants were not home at the time of the fire but returned momentarily after. Officials did not release the names of the residents and did not know whether they were University of Massachusetts students. The complex, located along North Pleasant Street, is less than a mile from the Northeast Residential area of campus and often home to students and visiting professors.

The apartment sustained severe smoke and heat damage. The outer hallway, stairwell and  neighboring apartments also suffered minor damages.

A town building inspector assessed the damages Sunday and declared that half of the building – four apartments – remain unoccupied, for reasons including the smoke detectors in the outer hallway needing to be changed. Until further notice, the tenants affected by the inspector’s decision are displaced.

The apartment complex is owned by Kamins Real Estate. According to the real estate company’s website the Presidential Apartments are “the most asked about location we manage.”

When asked when the residents will be allowed to return to their respective homes, owner Patrick Kamins declined to comment.

Michelle Williams can be reached for comment at mnwillia@student.umass.edu