Three new students appointed as SGA special assistants -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Allymohamed scores game winner after suffering facial injury against Boston University -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Loaded weekend against Marist, Keene State challenges UMass club hockey -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

UMass football seeing improvement on both the offensive and defensive lines -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Remembering Derek Jeter: an appraisal -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Yellowcard switches things up on “Lift a Sail” -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Campus Sustainability Day to take place Wednesday -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Woosley paces UMass tennis at the ITA Northeast Regionals -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sonny Landreth performs intense, brief set at the Iron Horse -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tinashe impresses on debut album, “Aquarius” -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Ebola coverage is misinforming -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Two counts of larceny occur over the weekend -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

UMass student charged in connection with alleged involvement in racist vandalisms -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass student found dead in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass beats Duquesne in overtime

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team finally did something they have wanted to do all season: win from behind on the road.

The Minutemen (9-15, 3-7 Atlantic 10) won their second conference game on the road this season in overtime, defeating Duquesne, 84-80 Thursday night.

UMass played from behind at halftime, erasing a 16-point deficit to come back outscore the Dukes, 44-41, in the second half.

Down 54-34 early in the second half, the Minutemen went on a 15-3 run with four 3-pointers, two from senior guard Ricky Harris, one by Anthony Gurley and another by freshman forward Terrell Vinson.

Redshirt sophomore center Sean Carter paced the Minutemen with 11 points and a career-high 19 rebounds, including a put-back dunk in the final seconds of overtime to cap the victory. Senior guard Ricky Harris had another impressive outing, adding 29 points on 10-of-22 shooting from the field and going 5-of-10 from beyond the arc.

Redshirt junior guard Anthony Gurley had 20 points off the bench, while the Minutemen shot 46 percent from 3-point range and 77 percent from the line.

Junior forward Damian Saunders finished with 15 points and seven rebounds, as the A-10 rebounding leader turned the ball over three times against UMass.

The Dukes did not shot the ball particularly well, going 27-of-69 from the field and 8-of-24 from beyond the arc.

The Minutemen continued to dominate opponents on the glass, 60-33, but still struggled to hold onto the ball with 22 turnovers.

The 60 boards were the most secured by a UMass team since the 1996 Final Four team.
Saunders missed two field goals with under a minute left in regulation, as the Minutemen secured the rebound and brought the ball down the court.

Gurley launched a 3-pointer and missed, but UMass recovered and got two chances to end the game, but missed.

Harris hit two free-throws to give the Minutemen their first lead in overtime with under two minutes to play.

Along with Gurley, UMass had 29 bench points, while the Dukes had just 9. Freshman forward Sampson Carter had seven, and junior guard Gary Correia added a field goal.

This is the second overtime game the Minutemen have played this season, and their first victory of 2010. UMass fell to Richmond, 70-63, back on Jan. 13, for their first conference loss on the road.

The Minutemen snapped a three-game losing streak with the victory over the Dukes, after losing to Charlotte, Xavier and Rhode Island.

UMass takes on Saint Joseph’s at home on Sunday at the Mullins Center. It the Hawks, 87-80 back, on Jan. 27 for their first A-10 victory on the road, after they were in the midst of a five-game losing streak.

Harris and Vinson combined for 39 points in the victory, as the Minutemen used another key run in the second half to come away with the victory.

The Hawks are coming off a 56-52 loss to Saint Louis on Wednesday, and are currently tied with UMass at 3-7 in the A-10 record.

David Brinch can be reached at dbrinch@student.umass.edu.