UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Rebounding hurts Minutewomen

A strong piece of the Massachusetts women’s basketball team’s game was nowhere to be found on Saturday, when it lost to Dayton, 74-60.

The Minutewomen (9-16, 3-7 Atlantic 10) average 1.5 more rebounds per game than their opponent this season, but were considerably outrebounded by the Flyers (20-5, 8-2 A-10) on Saturday. Dayton totaled 40 rebounds, with 17 coming on the offensive end.

“I think that these guys are very strong,” UMass coach Marnie Dacko said. ”They’re one of the toughest rebounding teams in the conference averaging 15 offensive boards a game. We knew that coming in [to the game].”

The Flyers (15.2) rank second in the conference in both offensive rebounds with as well as in rebounding margin, where they have average of 7.2 rebounds per game more than their opponents.

Dayton’s tenacity in the paint was more than UMass could handle.

“[Rebounding] is something that [Dayton] has made a concentrated effort on and that’s something we also have to commit to and learn from,” Dacko said. “We have the ability [to do the same], I think it’s just a mental practice of going in and doing it every day.”

The youth and relative inexperience UMass contains in the frontcourt could explain its struggles on Saturday. The top three rebounders on the team are sophomores Kristina Danella and Nicole Jones, as well as freshman Jasmine Watson. Combined, the trio managed two offensive boards for the game.

3-pointers not essential

UMass leads the A-10 with 160 3-pointers made on the season. Leading the way from beyond the arc is Danella and redshirt junior guard Megan Zullo, who account for 99 of them.

On Saturday, the Minutewomen were accurate from 3-point range, converting on 9-of-21 attempts. However, Dacko believes that anything converted from 3-point land can be considered a bonus.

“Our offense is really designed to get one on one in the post,” she said. “[Nicole Jones], Danella and [Jasmine Watson] – they have to get it inside and take it to people.”

Getting to the line

Another strength UMass possesses is its free throw shooting. As a team, the Minutewomen shoot 75 percent from the line, which is second-best in the conference.

Although UMass converted on 7-of-8 attempts (87.5 percent), the limited appearances at the line did not make enough of a difference in the final outcome. Dacko believes that it is imperative that her team gets to the line more frequently.

“If you’re reluctant shooting [in the post], then you’re not going to get to the foul line,” Dacko said. “But if you get the ball and you’re aggressive with it, then you’re going to get to the line. We have to go at it, grind it out, get to the line and make teams pay.”

Dayton made UMass pay from the charity stripe, who converted on 15 of its 19 free throw attempts.

Overall, Dacko was pleased with her team’s performance against one of the best teams in the A-10.

“If we [always] play with this effort,” she said. “Seven games would be in the win column rather than the loss column.”

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.