Author, poet and ex-con gives talk on criminal justice reform -

Israeli writer Ari Shavit speaks at Integrative Learning Center -

Alex DeSantis continues strong play for UMass men’s soccer as season reaches midway point -

Andrew Ford looks to continue to lead UMass football’s torrid offensive passing attack -

Sunset Grill and Pizza adjusts as a new restaurant in Amherst -

UMass field hockey falls 8-1 to No. 1 UConn -

Offensive-oriented practices hold high hopes for UMass women’s soccer with A-10 opener Thursday -

Hyper-stress on college campuses: a culture of high achievement leads to increased rates of mental illnesses -

Race of candidates should not affect voter turnout -

Students share what keeps them happy during the fall -

Harvest’s millennial-pandering replacement to Chameleon Cold Brew leaves caffeine fans at a loss -

Guide to fall 5K races and beyond -

UMass Votes Coalition hosts voter registration event -

Brettell presents on U.S. immigration policies -

UMass running back Marquis Young looks to build off momentum gained against Mississippi State -

UMass field hockey team seeks revenge against undefeated UConn -

UMass hockey announces captains for 2016-17 season -

Andy Isabella finds his niche within the UMass football offense -

The EpiPen Crisis: How did this happen? -

Cymbals Eat Guitars evolve and impress on “Pretty Years” -

Underclassmen shine for Minutemen

The Massachusetts track and field teams traveled to Boston University to compete in the Valentine Invitational. The meet came one week before the start of the Atlantic 10 track and field championship on Friday, which is why several key contributors on both teams did not participate in the invitational.

Nevertheless, this weekend saw both teams receive several strong performances from the team across the board against several Northeastern track programs, including A-10 rival University of Rhode Island.

One standout performance occurred in the 800-meter run. Freshman Joseph Doyle crossed the finish line at the 1 minute, 52.91 second mark, which qualifies him for both the New England Championships and the IC4A Championships later on this season.

Doyle has performed well all season for the Minutemen, but this showing was very unique. Not only was the time a personal best, but it also placed Doyle in the Minutemen record books, as it was the fifth fastest time in Massachusetts history.

Doyle was not the only Minuteman to make his mark in the 800-meter run. Senior Ryan DiOrio’s performance placed him in the New England Championship as well as he finished with a time of 1:55.25. The mark earned him 30th place overall.

Senior Jonathan Pierce also led the Minutemen, and qualified for the New England Championships by finishing with a time of 8:28.87 in the 3,000-meter run.

Pierce was one of many seniors who performed well on Saturday. Among the many strong performances in the short distance events was Samuel Laorenza, who qualified for the New England Championships with his performance in the 400-meter run. He finished 46th overall in the race with a time of 49.75 seconds.

Sophomore Michael McDonough finishing 29th, also had a strong showing as well in the 500-meter run with a time of 1:06.93. Another sophomore who performed well this weekend was Phillip Weltman (49.32 seconds), who finished 31st overall in the 400-meter run.

The Minutewomen also had a strong day on Saturday, and similar to their male counterparts, they have a freshman making her mark. Nicole Pompei continues to be a solid contributor for the Minutewomen, as her mark of 11-05.75 earned her third place in the pole vaulting event.

This strong showing follows her second place finish on Feb. 7 in the Giengengack Invitational.

Senior Brittany Bakanowski helped the Minutewomen in several events on Saturday. In the 4X400-meter relay, a quartet of Deanna Julian, Michelle Jensen, Erika Unger and Bakanowski finished in third place just under two seconds behind Southern Connecticut State with a time of 3:57:91.

Both teams will travel to North Kingston, R.I., to compete in the A-10 Championship this weekend. The Minutewomen and Minutemen finished sixth and seventh respectively in the A-10, and will look to improve upon that finish this year. The meets will kick off at 9:30 a.m. on Friday.

Jeffrey Engmann can be reached at jengmann@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Underclassmen shine for Minutemen”
  1. Mary B says:

Please check your event names and usage of colons and periods. You have the pole vault result (which should be a height) as a time, and the 4×400 relay time in terms of hours:days:minutes. Also, the time Samuel Laorenza posted is accurate for a 400m race, not a 500m race.