UMass Dining app wins prestigious award -

Notebook: UMass men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg ready to move on from Fordham loss, impressed with Rashaan Holloway’s improvement -

Creating realistic resolutions -

I love football, but injuries mar the game -

State funding restored for Amherst homeless shelter -

UMass swimming and diving pushing theme of intensity as regular season draws to a close -

UMass club hockey falls to NYU 3-2 in first game back from vacation -

The beauty of Birthright -

UMass women’s track and field victorious, men fifth at Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Seven fashion in film moments -

UMass professor wins big on ‘Jeopardy!’ -

SGA president selects new vice president -

UMass women’s basketball blows 15 point fourth quarter lead, loses in double overtime to George Washington -

Cyr: Expectations for UMass men’s basketball remain consistent throughout 2016-17 season -

The death penalty is not the answer -

Donald Trump is gutting journalism with his Twitter -

Winter break’s most overlooked releases -

Hardly anything in ‘Rogue One’ scores a direct hit -

Nineteen turnovers sink UMass men’s basketball in loss to Fordham Saturday -

Underclassmen shine for Minutemen

The Massachusetts track and field teams traveled to Boston University to compete in the Valentine Invitational. The meet came one week before the start of the Atlantic 10 track and field championship on Friday, which is why several key contributors on both teams did not participate in the invitational.

Nevertheless, this weekend saw both teams receive several strong performances from the team across the board against several Northeastern track programs, including A-10 rival University of Rhode Island.

One standout performance occurred in the 800-meter run. Freshman Joseph Doyle crossed the finish line at the 1 minute, 52.91 second mark, which qualifies him for both the New England Championships and the IC4A Championships later on this season.

Doyle has performed well all season for the Minutemen, but this showing was very unique. Not only was the time a personal best, but it also placed Doyle in the Minutemen record books, as it was the fifth fastest time in Massachusetts history.

Doyle was not the only Minuteman to make his mark in the 800-meter run. Senior Ryan DiOrio’s performance placed him in the New England Championship as well as he finished with a time of 1:55.25. The mark earned him 30th place overall.

Senior Jonathan Pierce also led the Minutemen, and qualified for the New England Championships by finishing with a time of 8:28.87 in the 3,000-meter run.

Pierce was one of many seniors who performed well on Saturday. Among the many strong performances in the short distance events was Samuel Laorenza, who qualified for the New England Championships with his performance in the 400-meter run. He finished 46th overall in the race with a time of 49.75 seconds.

Sophomore Michael McDonough finishing 29th, also had a strong showing as well in the 500-meter run with a time of 1:06.93. Another sophomore who performed well this weekend was Phillip Weltman (49.32 seconds), who finished 31st overall in the 400-meter run.

The Minutewomen also had a strong day on Saturday, and similar to their male counterparts, they have a freshman making her mark. Nicole Pompei continues to be a solid contributor for the Minutewomen, as her mark of 11-05.75 earned her third place in the pole vaulting event.

This strong showing follows her second place finish on Feb. 7 in the Giengengack Invitational.

Senior Brittany Bakanowski helped the Minutewomen in several events on Saturday. In the 4X400-meter relay, a quartet of Deanna Julian, Michelle Jensen, Erika Unger and Bakanowski finished in third place just under two seconds behind Southern Connecticut State with a time of 3:57:91.

Both teams will travel to North Kingston, R.I., to compete in the A-10 Championship this weekend. The Minutewomen and Minutemen finished sixth and seventh respectively in the A-10, and will look to improve upon that finish this year. The meets will kick off at 9:30 a.m. on Friday.

Jeffrey Engmann can be reached at jengmann@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Underclassmen shine for Minutemen”
  1. Mary B says:

Please check your event names and usage of colons and periods. You have the pole vault result (which should be a height) as a time, and the 4×400 relay time in terms of hours:days:minutes. Also, the time Samuel Laorenza posted is accurate for a 400m race, not a 500m race.