Renowned rabbi discusses the role of religion in American policy -

UMass baseball haunted by missed opportunities in 8-5 loss -

‘Transcendence’ a fumbling cautionary tale -

Freedom of speech for campus employees -

‘Veep’ continues to be one of the smartest comedies around -

‘Noah’ a sinking ship -

Letter: A response to ‘There is nothing to debate about global warming’ -

Push for punishment equality -

UMass baseball lacks aggressiveness, misses opportunities in loss -

Police Log Friday, April 18 – Sunday, April 20, 2014 -

UMass student spends spring break studying sustainability abroad -

Boston Marathon 2014: A day to remember -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

UMass baseball falls short in second straight Beanpot final -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Fashion faux-pas to fend off at music festivals -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The meaning of Easter -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Is Beyoncé a ‘fashion queen’ or just The Queen? -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Protect Our Breasts holds Earth Day Yogathon -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

UMass holds annual Native American Powwow -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Israel a hub for diversity -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

UMass rowing earns five first place finishes on Friday, two on Saturday in weekend action -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Minutemen looking to end 3-game skid vs. Merrimack

For a team looking to avoid its longest losing streak of the season, Lawler Arena is the last place it wants to go.

But for the Massachusetts hockey team, that’s where they will be headed on Friday as they look to snap their three-game losing streak against Merrimack.

While the Warriors (11-15-1, 8-11-1 Hockey East) sit just one spot away from the bottom of the conference standings, when it comes to playing at home, they are the best. Compared to their record on the road (1-12-1), the Warriors are a stellar 10-2 at home, losing only to Northeastern and New Hampshire.

Part of what gives Merrimack the strong advantage at home is Lawler arena’s small size (200 feet x 85 feet). The Mullins Center rink is 10 feet wider than the rink at Lawler Arena.

Despite the Warriors’ impressive record at home, the size of the rink might work to No. 18 UMass’ (16-13-0, 11-11-0 HEA) advantage. Friday’s contest will be the first time the Minutemen have played at Merrimack this season, but they have played twice this season on a rink of that size. Providence plays on a sheet of ice with the same dimensions and each time UMass came away with victories, 5-3, on Oct. 30 and 4-1 on Jan. 30.

Following Friday’s contest, UMass and Merrimack will meet again Saturday in the series finale in Amherst at 7:30 p.m. The game will be aired on NESN.

The Minutemen took the first meeting of the season with the Warriors back on Dec. 12 in Amherst with a 4-1 win, but since then, the offense has dealt with struggles. In the 12 games since that four-goal performance, UMass has scored four goals just three times, compared to the nine times they did in the 15 games prior to that win.

However, the offense is not the only aspect of UMass’ squad that has struggled in its last six games, where it has lost five of six including its last three. The defense and goaltending has allowed 25 goals in the six-game stretch, an average of 4.17 per game.

UMass coach Don Cahoon made it a point to show his team what they were doing at the beginning of the season that got them wins as opposed to what they are doing now that is causing the recent struggles.

“We spent the last couple of days meeting with everybody, discussing what’s transpired,” Cahoon said. “It’s very definable, I’m not going to get into what was said specifically, but it is very definable as to when we play well and when we don’t, as to what we do and what we don’t do.”

More importantly, Cahoon has tried to establish a sense of responsibility with the team and what is expected of each member of the squad.

“That has all been established, it is up front, kids have been shown both when they play great what they do and they all have a clear understanding of what their roles are in order to make things head in the right direction,” Cahoon said.

Jeffrey R. Larnard can be reached at jlarnard@dailycollegian.com.

One Response to “Minutemen looking to end 3-game skid vs. Merrimack”
  1. I am extremely impressed together with your writing abilities and also with the structure on your weblog. Is this a paid subject or did you customize it your self? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays..