Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Minutemen looking to end 3-game skid vs. Merrimack

For a team looking to avoid its longest losing streak of the season, Lawler Arena is the last place it wants to go.

But for the Massachusetts hockey team, that’s where they will be headed on Friday as they look to snap their three-game losing streak against Merrimack.

While the Warriors (11-15-1, 8-11-1 Hockey East) sit just one spot away from the bottom of the conference standings, when it comes to playing at home, they are the best. Compared to their record on the road (1-12-1), the Warriors are a stellar 10-2 at home, losing only to Northeastern and New Hampshire.

Part of what gives Merrimack the strong advantage at home is Lawler arena’s small size (200 feet x 85 feet). The Mullins Center rink is 10 feet wider than the rink at Lawler Arena.

Despite the Warriors’ impressive record at home, the size of the rink might work to No. 18 UMass’ (16-13-0, 11-11-0 HEA) advantage. Friday’s contest will be the first time the Minutemen have played at Merrimack this season, but they have played twice this season on a rink of that size. Providence plays on a sheet of ice with the same dimensions and each time UMass came away with victories, 5-3, on Oct. 30 and 4-1 on Jan. 30.

Following Friday’s contest, UMass and Merrimack will meet again Saturday in the series finale in Amherst at 7:30 p.m. The game will be aired on NESN.

The Minutemen took the first meeting of the season with the Warriors back on Dec. 12 in Amherst with a 4-1 win, but since then, the offense has dealt with struggles. In the 12 games since that four-goal performance, UMass has scored four goals just three times, compared to the nine times they did in the 15 games prior to that win.

However, the offense is not the only aspect of UMass’ squad that has struggled in its last six games, where it has lost five of six including its last three. The defense and goaltending has allowed 25 goals in the six-game stretch, an average of 4.17 per game.

UMass coach Don Cahoon made it a point to show his team what they were doing at the beginning of the season that got them wins as opposed to what they are doing now that is causing the recent struggles.

“We spent the last couple of days meeting with everybody, discussing what’s transpired,” Cahoon said. “It’s very definable, I’m not going to get into what was said specifically, but it is very definable as to when we play well and when we don’t, as to what we do and what we don’t do.”

More importantly, Cahoon has tried to establish a sense of responsibility with the team and what is expected of each member of the squad.

“That has all been established, it is up front, kids have been shown both when they play great what they do and they all have a clear understanding of what their roles are in order to make things head in the right direction,” Cahoon said.

Jeffrey R. Larnard can be reached at jlarnard@dailycollegian.com.

One Response to “Minutemen looking to end 3-game skid vs. Merrimack”
  1. I am extremely impressed together with your writing abilities and also with the structure on your weblog. Is this a paid subject or did you customize it your self? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays..