UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Black Sheep finds support in its flock during tough economy

BLACKSHEEPWEB

Nick Bush/Collegian

Many small businesses are finding lines of credit hard to come by since the recession hit the American banking sector, but the owner of the Black Sheep Deli in Amherst has taken a unique approach to raising money for renovations, and one that relies on the establishments’ most consistent supporters – its everyday patrons.

One of the first things evident to customers upon entering is the colorful chalk of the deli’s blackboard, enshrined with sandwiches created with an inventive flair not found in a run of the mill fast food restaurant or pizzeria. In part thanks to the unique character of the establishment, the Black Sheep has come to be known as an enclave for the Valley’s local progressive bohemians who patronize its bakery, coffee shop and deli offerings daily.

As the owner and manager of the Black Sheep, Nick Seamon has been operating from a prominent location between Town Hall and the Amherst Police Department for more than 23 years, and has taken what some could call an idiosyncratic approach towards raising funds for renovations. Until Sunday, Feb. 21 the Black Sheep will be selling ‘Deli Dollars,’ a form of gift certificates.

The twist, however, is that Deli Dollars will be redeemable only after April 15; for their wait, patrons will get 25 percent more buying power at the Black Sheep. For example, if someone were to purchase eight dollars of Deli Dollars today, the gift certificates would be worth ten dollars in mid-April.

“Support a local business in this tough economy,” reads the beginning of a flyer accompanying the Black Sheep’s announcement of the plan, which hopes to raise as much as $10,000.

“We did this a number of times before in order to raise money for specific reasons,” said Seamon. “We have always liked to do things our own way around here, and try to consider new ideas.”

He mentioned the current difficulty many small businesses have had securing loans from bank lenders over the past year, but noted that he much preferred being supported by local patrons than the now-beleaguered banks.

“I prefer alternate sources of funding,” said Seamon. “The fewer bank loans, the better. My goal is no bank loans … Just a bank account.”

He mentioned similar instances where the Black Sheep has chosen alternative methods of funding for its growth, including when it added a handicapped accessible bathroom twelve years ago, and its expansion of its refrigeration abilities just over a decade ago.

This time around, Seamon is hoping to help pay for recent renovations to the café, which have added two new tables of seating, expanded counter space and streamlined the checkout process for patrons.

“This way,” said Seamon, “people can come in and try new things” while supporting a local business, and still benefit themselves with increased purchasing power.

“The people of Amherst are very supportive,” he said, “and our customers have been good to us over the years.”

Nick Bush can be reached at nbush@student.umass.edu.