Lawrence Osborn Fossil Collection showcases fossils from across the globe, spanning vast ages -

Retired professor and public figure, Julius Lester, passed away at age 78 -

UMass looks to maintain discipline in Tuesday’s tilt at Boston College -

UMass men’s and women’s swimming and diving earns second place finishes at Dartmouth Invitational -

YouTube’s free speech problem -

Resolutions should not wait until the new year -

Book review: ‘When Breath Becomes Air’ by Paul Kalanithi -

Charli XCX’s latest release, ‘Pop 2,’ is another gorgeous experiment on electro-pop -

Rashaan Holloway ruled academically ineligible, will miss rest of season -

Minutewomen hold on to defeat VCU, snap losing streak -

America’s misguided war on low-income financial assistance -

Blue lights aren’t needed on campus anymore -

Cupcakke’s ‘Ephorize’ proves it’s time to take her seriously -

Netflix series ‘The End of the F***ing World’ packs a punch -

UMass hockey falls flat in 5-0 loss to Northeastern -

UMass women’s track and field takes first, men fourth at Joe Donahue Games -

Sanzo: UMass’ game vs. St. Louis is a sign of what it is without its grit -

UMass men’s basketball gets blown out by Saint Louis, 66-47 -

UMass hockey shuts down No. 8 Northeastern with 3-0 win -

Matt Murray hands Northeastern its first shutout of the season -

Hampshire dancers to incorporate personal themes at Winter Dance Concert

Tonight faculty and student works will be presented at Hampshire College’s annual Winter Dance Concert in the main Dance Studio in the Longsworth Arts Village. The concert will include six acts which negotiate relationships through movement.

The Dance acts presented are all performed and choreographed by student and faculty dancers. Unlike many dance concerts in which routines are based on popular culture, the choreography distinctly explores symbolic events in the life of the performer or choreographer.

Lauren Anne Samuelson will perform a routine titled “Some [No] Thing. The theme behind this piece is the study of one’s relationship with the self. This act will be followed by a sequel “Alone, Together,” a duet which muses on the everyday life shared by two people.

Chani Bockwinkel, a senior at Hampshire, will fill the stage with engaging movement and humor. Bockwinkel will be involved in a trio called “Spoon, Wall, Gap,” which will incorporate both a live performance and a film to illuminate images of the day-to-day with a fresh perspective.

Katrina De Wees, a junior at Hampshire, has been working on her dance, “Melomeander,” for about five months, since September 2009.

De Wees says, “My work takes place in three different scenes, in three different times, and is of three different women who are co-existing on stage.”

De Wees choreographed her dance based on research of her personal ancestry and the legacy of sexual and other violence against black women. The three different women she refers to are herself, Harriet Jacobs and her great, great, great grandmother. De Wees has completed genealogical research on her ancestry and her place within the context of the history and legacy of slavery, sexual violence and abuse, and the spirit of survival in black women.

“Furthermore, it is an interpretation of the present moment of black women, told through my personal interpretation,” De Wees said.

The performances will encompass all styles of dance. While post-modern is a main focus, contemporary, hip-hop and break dance vocabularies will be incorporated. Fritha Pengelly, a visiting professor of dance, will present a dance for eight women with athletic and rhythmic movement which will include more joyous and upbeat routines that use hip-hop, break dance and contemporary styles.

The Winter Dance Concert will take place Thursday through Saturday, February 18 to 20. Tickets are ten dollars for the public and five dollars for students with a Five College identification.

Lisa Linsley can be reached at llinsley@student.umass.edu.