Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

Dead veterans take it Furthur

Since 1965, when the smoke and mirrors of the sixties still cast its magic on the landscape of America, one name has been synonymous with jam music: The Grateful Dead. The band was an icon of the psychedelic world, blending quintessential American styles into a unique brand of music that has been the beloved trademark of hippie culture ever since.

The band’s most current incarnation, both in spirit and in flesh, is called Furthur, and it is coming to the Mullins Center tonight for an all-star concert in classic style.

Furthur was formed late in 2009 by founding Grateful Dead members and Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame inductees Phil Lesh and Bob Weir. The two came together for this project following the final summer tour of The Other Ones, a previous Dead reunion band.

The band stays true to the roots of its legendary forbearer, with a short set-list but long jam sessions. These extended improvisational sets were a hallmark of The Grateful Dead, who adopted the style from American jazz. While their music is largely considered to be one of the earliest forms of Rock n’ Roll, it bears little resemblance to the classic rock than many of the current generation are familiar with. Instead, using the “jam” framework, The Grateful Dead blended blues, country and bluegrass into a distinct new sound that resonated with the psychedelic free-love culture of the time.

That was forty-five years ago, but not much has changed. Although their numbers may have diminished since the late sixties, legions of “Dead Heads,” as their fans are called, still exist around the world and their image is still synonymous with psychedelic drug use and tie-dye. Their iconic cover art still adorns the walls of dorm rooms across the country, and their spot in Rolling Stone’s “One Hundred Greatest Artists of all Time” list remains cemented at 55.

With the death of their unofficial leader Jerry Garcia in 1995 the Grateful Dead finally disbanded, ending a nearly unbroken thirty-year touring session. The remaining members went on hiatus, but were still far from retirement – and the music continued on. In addition to reunion bands, The Other Ones and The Dead, there has also been a highly successful tribute band, the Dark Star Orchestra, who claim to re-create the original group’s classic shows set-for-set.

Bob Weir reprises his previous reunion role as singer and guitarist, bringing his unique style of vocals to the lead role. He is joined in both respects by John Kadlecik, co-founder of Dark Star Orchestra. Kadlecik has been praised not only for his guitar skills, but for his vocal similarities to the late Jerry Garcia.

Grateful Dead original Phil Lesh, who recently celebrated his 70th birthday, returns on the bass guitar and is accompanied by Jeff Chimenti on keyboard. Chimenti had worked previously with Weir on his side band RatDog, as did Furthur drummer Jay Lane. Joe Russo fills out the drum section, combining with Weir’s unique guitar style to give the band a heavy rhythmic section that does not seem to detract from their overall laid-back flow.

Doors open at 6:00 tonight in the Mullins Center, and tickets range from $40-$50. The show begins at 7:30 p.m. and is expected to sell out. If you have ever dreamed of giving it all up and following The Dead cross country like in the days of old, now might be your chance to live the dream without dropping out, so get there early.

Andrew Sheridan can be reached at asher1@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Dead veterans take it Furthur”
  1. Cosmic Charlie says:

Phils 70th is in March. The 12 or 14th

2. Althea says:

March 15 I’m pretty sure.

Otherwise, nice article.

This show was smokin’.