Inside the Park with Marky Mark: March 3, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Minutewomen excel despite injuries, Minutemen gain experience -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

SGA election reforms address some, but not all concerns -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Emily O’Neil hopes to increase diversity and improve Title IX training as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The next journalist under fire -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Letter: A call for action and cooperation -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Student trustee candidate Kabir Thatte looks to create his own path as a UMass legacy student within SGA -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Feb. 27 to Sunday, March 1, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kelly, Gay to focus on transparency, accessibility and sexual assault training -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Easy breathing tricks to de-stress during midterms -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Hartford travels to Garber for home opener

The last time the Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team hosted Hartford, the Minutemen earned their first victory of the 2004 season.

With that already accomplished in a 15-12 victory at Sacred Heart last Friday, UMass hopes to earn its first home win of the 2010 season when the Hawks soar into Garber Field Saturday at 1 p.m.

Though the Minutemen have already played a closely-contested game this season and Hartford has yet to touch the field, UMass coach Greg Canella isn’t convinced his team has an advantage.

“The experience in playing in a tight game against Sacred Heart maybe that plays in our favor,” Canella said. “Watching tape on Hartford, you get personnel stuff but you don’t see offenses and defenses because they haven’t played yet. You can look at it both ways.”

The No. 17 Minutemen have defeated the Hawks all six times they have played each other, dating back to 1996.

UMass beat the Hawks 13-7 back on March 2 for the first win of its 2004 campaign, as the then-No. 11 Minutemen scored eight goals to open up a tied game in the second half.

After its five goal lead disappeared in the beginning of the fourth quarter, UMass got back on track against SHU on Friday, scoring five of the game’s final four games to hold on for the win.

Senior midfielder Bobby Hayes scored a career-high four goals, while five different UMass players registered multi-goal games for career bests.

Sophomore attackman Art Kell notched a hat trick and had an assist, while junior midfielders Ryan Hantverk and Ryan Liebel, along with sophomore Anthony Biscardi, added two goals each.

The Hawks are coming off two scrimmages, and will open their season on the road in the non-conference matchup Saturday. The Hawks were picked to finish fourth in the America East after finishing just 2-11 in 2009, including 0-6 on the road, while going 0-13 in 2008.

Like the Minutemen, the Hawks are a very young team with 15 freshmen and one just two seniors, but have a talented sophomore group in goalkeeper Scott Bement. Bement was named AE Rookie of the Year and to the All-Rookie team last season after leading the conference in save percentage (.577).

“He’s an excellent goalie, probably because he’s an excellent athlete,” Canella said of Bement. “He has very quick hands and is explosive in goal as well. Anytime you have an athlete in there, similar to a hockey goalie, who can stretch for saves, they can follow shooters. He presents a ton of problems and they expect him to be an All-American this year, I won’t be surprised if he is.”

Along with Bement, the Hawks boast a young attacking unit in sophomores Aidan Genik, Ryan Compitello and Carter Bender, all of which were named to the AE All-Rookie Team while scoring 62 goals and adding 34 assists.

“They’re very young, but all their midfielders are back, they have a sophomore goalie, and an experienced defense,” Canella said. “They’re a hungry team and they will be ready to go.”

The Hawks are led by senior captain attackman Justin Bearse, who finished 2009 with 12 goals and 10 assists, while Liebel’s younger brother Ben is a freshman defenseman for the Hawks as well.

David Brinch can be reached at dbrinch@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Hartford travels to Garber for home opener”
  1. Nick T says:

Garber, not McGuirk…