UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

UMass teams set to compete in A-10 Championships

The stage is set in Kingston, R.I. for the Atlantic 10 Indoor Track and Field Championships. The Massachusetts men’s and women’s teams will travel to R.I. and compete on Friday with the hope of carrying their impressive seasons into an A-10 championship.

After a five week grind, many of the athletes on both the men’s and women’s teams are heading into the championship with over a week of rest since last weekend’s Valentine Invitational in Boston. This bodes well for UMass, as it is now able to compete with fresh legs going into one of the most competitive tournaments of the season.

The A-10 Championship is an annual event at the end of the indoor season where the best teams in the conference compete against one another for the top spot. UMass men’s coach Ken O’Brien said his team especially looks forward to the A-10 meet because it presents a chance to establish the program as elite and get national exposure for the school. He also said that the track program has grown over the years, and is now one of the most competitive on the east coast.

“I’ve enjoyed the growth of the A-10,” O’Brien said. “It used to be two at the top, two in the middle, and two in the cellar, but the last few years it has solidified. There are no easy points in the A-10 any longer.”

Last year’s A-10 meet wasn’t as good as the Minutemen were hoping for, as they finished seventh out of 10 teams. Fortunately, the two top finishers for UMass were underclassmen and return to the squad this season.

Phillip Weltman and Daniel Schwartz each ranked third in their respective event, and the experience they gained last year will certainly help the team this weekend.

O’Brien realizes that while the experience of last year’s meet will help, 2010 is a completely different season with new challenges.

“The next three weeks are our championship season,” O’Brien said. “This weekend opens the doors for a short, tough season where there is no room for error. We have to be on our game. We’re excited about our chances and we expect some good things.”

With solid individual performances throughout the season and strong relay and distance teams, the Minutemen figure to compete in every event they enter.

The Minutewomen, meanwhile, are also in contention this weekend.

UMass will be looking to improve on last year’s meet, where it finished in sixth place overall. In last year’s event, the team saw two school records broken in the triple jump event by Stephanie Aququo and Ida Okkonen. Like the men’s team, both upperclassmen will return to this year’s event with a wealth of experience and hopes of improving upon their marks.

The Minutewomen will take their top-ranked distance medley relay team, along with four top-five ranked athletes into the meet. Karen Roa, Gina Perno, Michelle Jenssen and Courtney Baldwin combined to set a school record at the Giegengack Invitational two weeks ago, setting a mark that is currently two seconds better than second-ranked Charlotte. They should be well rested after only 19 athletes competing last weekend in Boston.

The championship is a two-day event beginning Friday, Feb. 19 at 9:30 a.m. and continuing through Saturday, Feb. 20.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.