AIC shuts out UMass hockey 3-0 at Mullins Center -

UMass professor to appear as contestant on ‘Jeopardy!’ Thursday night -

Penalties plague UMass hockey in Mariucci Classic championship game -

UMass men’s basketball falls in A-10 opener to St. Bonaventure and its veteran backcourt -

UMass woman’s basketball ends FIU Holiday Classic with 65-47 loss to Drexel -

UMass men’s basketball finishes non-conference schedule strong with win over Georgia State -

Brett Boeing joins UMass hockey for second half of season -

UMass junior Maia F. McDermott, 21, dies in early morning crash

University of Massachusetts student Maia F. McDermott, 21, of Clinton, died early Saturday morning when a vehicle she was driving struck a utility pole in Bolyston, Mass. and burst into flames, according to police. (Courtesy Facebook)

A 21-year-old University of Massachusetts student died early this morning when a vehicle she was driving struck a utility pole in Bolyston, Mass. and burst into flames, according to police.

A 2006 Mazda, driven by Maia F. McDermott of 158 Walnut St. in Clinton and traveling north on Route 70, or Main Street, in Boylston, crossed into the southbound lane and crashed into a utility pole about a half mile south of the Route 140 intersection at around 2:20 a.m. Saturday, said a press release from Bolyston Police Chief Anthony G. Sahagian.

McDermott, a junior who was studying for a Bachelor’s Degree with Individual Concentration at UMass, was killed in the accident which engulfed the vehicle in flames and closed Rte. 70 for around three hours afterwards, the release said. She was expected to graduate in 2011 and lived in the Puffton Village Apartments on North Pleasant Street in Amherst, according to University officials.

“Our deepest condolences go out to Maia’s parents Brian and Lori McDermott and her many friends here at UMass and at home,” said a campus-wide e-mail sent Sunday by Dean of Students Jo-Anne Vanin. “Anyone needing to access the campus support services is welcome to come to the Dean of Students Office where the staff is ready to be of assistance.”

Town and state police along with fire and emergency medical service technicians responded to the accident, which remains under investigation, police said.

Matt Rocheleau can be reached at mrochele@dailycollegian.com.

View UMass student dies in early morning crash – DailyCollegian.com in a larger map

13 Responses to “UMass junior Maia F. McDermott, 21, dies in early morning crash”
  1. RIP. My best thoughts to her family. :(

2. A Mom says:

Our hearts go out to the Mcdermott family. May God give you the courage and strength to get through this most difficult time. Many of us knew her and are in such shock over her passing. Life is so short. Love your family and friends and dont forget to give those xtra hugs and kisses. Tomorrow is not a promise for any of us.

3. Will Schuerman says:

maia,

Brian called me to tell me the news. I couldnt believe what I heard. I love you so much and couldnt believe at all what he told me. I burst into tears at the sound of the news and I just want you hear to tell me youre okay as Im sure your family wishes the same. I love you and rest in peace beautiful <3

Will<3

4. Joe S says:

I give my condolences to the family and friends of Maia. We were in the same Spanish class freshman year and she was always so friendly and full of life. She seemed happy and had a lot of people that cared for her. What a terrible thing to happen to such a young, good-hearted girl.

5. AJ says:

Maia was a good friend and a wonderful person with an infectious personality and a smile that would light up a room. She will be missed by all
    RIP

6. Emily says:

My deepest condolences to Maia’s family .. Maia was so beautiful and always so happy and sassy .. Anyone who knew her was lucky and she will be so missed.

A golden heart stopped beating
    Hardworking hands put to rest
    God took this life from us to prove
    That He only takes the best

rest in peace baby girl

7. John says:

Maia was a a beautiful person, and one of the nicest girls I’d ever met. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends. This is a difficult time, be strong.

RIP Maia <3

8. Ann Colligan says:

Brian, Lori, and Sean- words can’t express what we are feeling right now and our thoughts are with your family during this time of sadness and grief. Maia was a beautiful person who we enjoyed so much as she grew up over the past 8 years. We always felt that she was destined for greatness; death at such an early age seems hard to even comprehend! Our daughter, Emily, is beside herself as are we. We wish you deep, sincere sympathy in these difficult times.
    The Colligans
    Ann, Russell, and Emily

9. student says:

It’s a damn shame.

10. Clay says:

The community at Parker School, where Maia went to Middle School, is extremely saddened by this news. Maia was in my advisory her seventh grade year. I’ll always remember her as a fun-loving and caring person. She had the quality of empathy at a young age. I’ll second an above comment about how she could be a little sassy. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Brain, Lori, and Sean.

11. Moriah Thomason says:

Hello Brian, Lori & Sean,
    I am thinking of you and of Maia every day. I am so thankful to have seen her and been with you at the holidays. Every moment is a treasure and I feel so lucky to have had mine with your beautiful and thoughtful daughter and sister. She is a bright light in my mind, and heart, now and always. I see her.

12. Mitch Berger says:

Hi Lori and all the McDermott’s, family and friends of Maia:
    We all lost a wonderful person in our lives. She was taken from us far too young and without explanation. She will continue to be cherished and remembered by us, for the heart has to go on. How else can we accept this ordeal? If God has a plan, taking Maia now defies any sort of false logic.
    We will miss her forever……. and the world is a much sadder place now. I feel deeply for all your collective grief and suffering. There will never be another…….Maia.
    Uncle Mitch

13. Lori Berger McDermott says:

just came across this article and all the heartfelt comments. If ever there was a reason to believe that death is not the end, it is Maia. Her spirit lives on in ways we could never have imagined and we know she is still with us. After her crash, we began keeping a journal that continues to provide us with undeniable evidence that her physical death was a tranformation to another state of being … the first year of our experiences has been published in a book, Learning to Dance in the Rain, to help others find strength and inspiration to face the storms that come their way and live life with greater purpose and wonder. (Visit http://www.learningtodanceintherain.net for more information.) Thank you to everyone who has sent love and happy thoughts to Maia, her friends, and her family. Be not sad anymore.
    Namaste and peace,
    Lori