Campus Climate survey shows strong response -

Jennifer Carlson gives talk on race and gun law enforcement -

Labor Center to receive increased funding from University -

Verdi enforces playing a full 40 minutes as UMass takes on Hofstra -

Mulligan looks to continue seven game double-double streak at Hofstra -

Jesus: the conservative Republican -

The joy of Snapchat -

Don’t let hate defeat debate -

‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’ remains the defining holiday classic -

A Tribe Called Quest bid its fans a thoughtful farewell -

Amherst residents rally against Dakota pipeline in water ceremony outside TD Bank -

Laura Reed discusses nuclear disarmament under Obama Administration -

SGA President announces opening of vice president position -

Four UMass divers qualify for NCAA Tournament at Bucknell Invitational this weekend -

Top 25 Basketball Notebook: UCLA pulls off major upset over Kentucky -

College football playoff seeds came out Sunday; Alabama gets top seed -

UMass club hockey comes out of travel weekend 1-1-1 -

Notebook: UMass men’s basketball guard Luwane Pipkins among nation’s best in steals -

Listen when you argue to truly understand -

Letter to the Editor: local veterans on Hampshire flag burning -

‘Hairspray’ national tour dances into Mullins Center

The national touring production of “Hairspray” makes a stop at the Mullins Center tonight, as part of the University of Massachusetts’ “Broadway in Amherst” series.

The plot, which unfolds in 1962, centers on Baltimore teen Tracy Turnblad. Despite her unconventional weight for a dancer, Turnblad wins a spot on the popular television show, “The Corny Collins Show.” With her newfound fame and open mind, the teen – along with her circle of offbeat friends – is sent on an adventure of romance, activism and plain old fun.

The musical is based on a 1988 film of the same name by the king of camp, John Waters. The film turned Ricki Lake into a star and started a precedent for Waters, whose 1990 film “Cry Baby” would also be turned into a stage musical.

The Broadway production of “Hairspray” opened in 2002 to rave reviews. It was nominated for 12 Tony Awards in 2003, of which it won eight, including Best Musical. The show features an award-winning musical book by Mark O’Donnell and Thomas Meehan (“The Producers,” “Annie”). The music is composed by Marc Shaiman with lyrics by both Shaiman and Scott Wittman.

“Hairspray” played on Broadway for nearly seven years, an extremely successful run for today’s day-and-age where year-old shows are considered unique. The show made Broadway history as the first successful production starring a plus-size actress. There have been curvaceous lead actors in the past, but before “Hairspray,” Broadway roles were not written with that body type in mind.

“I think Hairspray found a fun, exciting and beautiful way to tribute the human body in any shape, age, color or other dimension,” said Carly Jibson, who played Tracy in both the national tour and on Broadway.

Since “Hairspray” started the trend, many roles have gone to heavier actors. Well-received shows by critics and audience members alike featuring such actors include “Spring Awakening,” “Hair” and the upcoming Green Day musical, “American Idiot.”

While striking on the sensitive issue of weight and female body image, “Hairspray” also deals with themes of racism. Terms that are outdated and considered racist in modern times are used within the show. Still, the musical is considered family friendly and suitable for anyone.

The annual “Broadway in Amherst” has brought multiple theatrical events to the Mullins Center, including “Rain,” a Beatles cover band, as well as “Cirque Dreams: Illumination.” Andrew Lloyd Webber’s famed “Cats” will come to Amherst on April 19 and “Cabaret” will close the series on May 9.

“Hairspray” starts at 7:30 p.m. Adult tickets range from $43-$53; tickets for seniors and children 18 and under are $38-$48. Tickets can be purchased online or in person at the box office.

Alissa Mesibov can be reached at amesibov@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “‘Hairspray’ national tour dances into Mullins Center”
  1. Phyllis Kalb says:

Great article on ‘Hairspray! Your addressing the sensitive issue of weight for teen-agers as well as the racism that existed (and still does exist) certainly makes the play worthwhile for all ages to see.

2. haha, I cherish Nico Rosberg! He’s so bright