Minutemen search for answers following blowout loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

UMass dominated in 85-65 loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass grads fight financial crime

During a time when many businesses are downsizing and cutting back just to stay afloat, Dexrex LLC – founded and run by former University of Massachusetts students – is expanding, soon moving from college-town Amherst to the banking center of Boston.

The company’s website, Dexrex.com, allows users to archive their instant messages as well as mobile text messages, then browse and search old records. The site was created by CEO Derek Lyman and Chief Technology Officer Richard Tortora.

“While we were undergrads, Rich and I were living in Northeast [Residential Area] and we were just bored,” said Lyman.

The company plans to relocate on March 1, the latest in a series of successes for Dexrex.

In 2005, the inspired duo started to construct and test software that would store data that could be organized and later revisited. At first, the idea was to design a program that would save instant messages in the event of a computer crash, so that later the user could log on and continue their conversations.

“It was just for fun, really,” said Lyman.

The project eventually grew from what Lyman described as “two guys kickin’ it in a dorm room to two offices with a 14-person staff.” The expansion began in 2007 when Lyman and Tortora attended the Executive Summary Competition put on by the UMass Entrepreneurial Initiative and were inspired to seek start-up investment for their company.

However, fears of the looming financial crisis were growing, and finding investors proved to be Dexrex’s biggest challenge. But ironically, it was the crisis itself that ended up spurring investors. The two entrepreneurs saw the potential for Dexrex to be a tool for financial oversight, as well as a guard against insider trading.

Lyman and Tortora’s big break came in August 2009 when a New York-based distribution company approached them. As a new enterprise in the financial sector, they sold their product to investment firms who saw Dexrex as a cheaper alternative to similar products and an effective monitoring tool against illegal financial activity.

“We revolutionized the market,” said Lyman. “We did for one to two dollars per unit what other companies were doing for $10 to $20.”

The company also launched a Blackberry application for Dexrex in April 2009.

According to a press release announcing the application’s debut, “Dexrex SMS backup automatically archives your incoming and outgoing text messages to a private, password-protected account online at Dexrex.com.”

“Dexrex provides users with a wealth of features like searching, forwarding, deletion, SMS monthly totals, contact management and the ability to view stored messages from any web-enabled device,” said the release.

The company’s founders believe the corruption on Wall Street, which was partially responsible for the recession, will give Dexrex a lasting market in which to sell their product. As long as there is finance and insider trading, firms will need companies like Dexrex to keep capitalism honest, Lyman and Tortora said.

Matt Bouteillier can be reached at mbouteil@student.umass.edu.