UMass student charged in connection with alleged involvement in racist vandalisms -

Monday, October 20, 2014

BREAKING: Police investigating death of 21-year-old female in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Duolingo makes learning a language easier -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s swimming and diving falls to Army; women’s team gets revenge -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass field hockey gets back to .500 with win over BU Sunday -

Monday, October 20, 2014

‘Columbus Day’ demonstrates ignorant view of the past -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students for Justice in Palestine aims to spread awareness, not argue -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Mending fences: SGA and Amherst officials work together to improve town/gown relations -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer drops 5-0 decision to Saint Louis -

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Phablet continues to grow and maintain popularity -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dayton Flyers soar at Rudd Field, 4-1 over the Minutemen -

Sunday, October 19, 2014

UMass football’s Sharpe continues his banner season in 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Shadrach Abrokwah has career day in UMass football’s 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan. -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

UMass tops Eastern Michigan 36-14, puts together first FBS winning streak -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Cotto, Auquo and Okkonen lead UM track and field

The Massachusetts track and field teams had a strong showing over the weekend at the Atlantic 10 conference championship.

In Kingston, R.I., the men’s team tallied 68 points and finished in fifth place out of 12 teams in the two-day event, improving on their seventh place finish from last season.

The top performers for the Minutemen were upperclassmen who had the experience necessary to gain an edge over the rest of the field. Scott VanderMolen finished second overall in the 1000-meter run with a time of 2:27.39 minutes, and was named to the All-Conference team. He will also compete in the 1000-meter run next weekend in the New England Championship and the Eastern College Athletic Conference championship.

In the 55-meter hurdles, Tyler Cotto continued his dominance in the event, taking third place with a time of 7.62 seconds. He has already qualified for the IC4A and New England championships this season, while setting a school record in the 55-meter hurdles earlier in the year.

Other leaders for UMass included Daniel Schwartz and Chris Dzidek, who took fourth and fifth in their respective events with over 4,000 points each in the first ever heptathlon event – a contest with seven events – in A-10 history.

The Minutewomen were also in competition in Kingston, R.I. over the weekend, and finished seventh out of 12 teams. Like their male counterparts, they relied on strong performances from their seasoned veterans to carry them through the tournament.

Leading the way for UMass were upperclassmen Stephanie Aguguo and Ida Okkonen, repeating their impressive performances from last year’s tournament. Aguguo took fifth place in the triple jump and improved the third-best mark in school history that she set last year. Okkonen followed suit by placing sixth in the same event, and qualifying for the New England championship. Her mark of 30-01.25 feet puts her right behind Aguguo at fourth on the all-time school record list.

Also turning in a strong performance for the Minutewomen was freshman Courtney Baldwin, who continues to improve her already impressive first season. Baldwin took fourth in the mile run with her time of 4:58.49 minutes.

Rounding out the scoring for UMass women were Lisa Wilson, who placed fifth in the shot put with a distance of 44-08.25 feet, Holly Heinricher finished seventh in the 200-meter dash, and Gina Perno who took seventh in the 800-meter run.

Both teams will head back to Boston for the fourth time this weekend when they compete in the New England Championship on Friday and Saturday.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Cotto, Auquo and Okkonen lead UM track and field”
  1. Mary B says:

Hey, no mention of Sean Busch, who won the Pole Vault? I think you’re getting a bit lazy and not doing thorough enough research… this is just the umassathletics.com recap from Day 2. Busch won the pole vault on Day 1.