Congressman Jim McGovern visits UMass for event hosted by UMass Democrats -

UMass baseball set to renew rivalry with Boston College -

Notebook: UMass football more comfortable this time around in spring practice -

‘Bloodborne’ is a perfectly twisted video game experience -

The overwhelmed and cynical public remains uninformed on politics -

SGA Senator hopes to educate students on Campus Pulse -

Outdoor season generates excitement for men’s, women’s track and field -

Brendan Hegarty continuing to contribute for UMass lacrosse -

Route 9 Diner closes as attorney general files discrimination complaint -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin performs in front of NFL scouts at Pro Day -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Sisters on the Runway successfully hosts benefit fashion show for Safe Passage -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

‘Hurry sickness’ is actually wasting our time -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Angela Davis condemns the prison industrial complex in campus talk -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

UMass softball’s home opener postponed due to unplayable field conditions -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Kickin’ Back Dance Crew looks to emerge as its own dance club -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Doing good while looking good: Fashion show raises domestic violence awareness -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Ryan Moloney pitching with confidence for UMass baseball -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Police Log: Friday, March 27 to Sunday, March 29, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The real importance of water for our health -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

UMass Pro Day offers players a chance to be noticed -

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Cotto, Auquo and Okkonen lead UM track and field

The Massachusetts track and field teams had a strong showing over the weekend at the Atlantic 10 conference championship.

In Kingston, R.I., the men’s team tallied 68 points and finished in fifth place out of 12 teams in the two-day event, improving on their seventh place finish from last season.

The top performers for the Minutemen were upperclassmen who had the experience necessary to gain an edge over the rest of the field. Scott VanderMolen finished second overall in the 1000-meter run with a time of 2:27.39 minutes, and was named to the All-Conference team. He will also compete in the 1000-meter run next weekend in the New England Championship and the Eastern College Athletic Conference championship.

In the 55-meter hurdles, Tyler Cotto continued his dominance in the event, taking third place with a time of 7.62 seconds. He has already qualified for the IC4A and New England championships this season, while setting a school record in the 55-meter hurdles earlier in the year.

Other leaders for UMass included Daniel Schwartz and Chris Dzidek, who took fourth and fifth in their respective events with over 4,000 points each in the first ever heptathlon event – a contest with seven events – in A-10 history.

The Minutewomen were also in competition in Kingston, R.I. over the weekend, and finished seventh out of 12 teams. Like their male counterparts, they relied on strong performances from their seasoned veterans to carry them through the tournament.

Leading the way for UMass were upperclassmen Stephanie Aguguo and Ida Okkonen, repeating their impressive performances from last year’s tournament. Aguguo took fifth place in the triple jump and improved the third-best mark in school history that she set last year. Okkonen followed suit by placing sixth in the same event, and qualifying for the New England championship. Her mark of 30-01.25 feet puts her right behind Aguguo at fourth on the all-time school record list.

Also turning in a strong performance for the Minutewomen was freshman Courtney Baldwin, who continues to improve her already impressive first season. Baldwin took fourth in the mile run with her time of 4:58.49 minutes.

Rounding out the scoring for UMass women were Lisa Wilson, who placed fifth in the shot put with a distance of 44-08.25 feet, Holly Heinricher finished seventh in the 200-meter dash, and Gina Perno who took seventh in the 800-meter run.

Both teams will head back to Boston for the fourth time this weekend when they compete in the New England Championship on Friday and Saturday.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Cotto, Auquo and Okkonen lead UM track and field”
  1. Mary B says:

Hey, no mention of Sean Busch, who won the Pole Vault? I think you’re getting a bit lazy and not doing thorough enough research… this is just the umassathletics.com recap from Day 2. Busch won the pole vault on Day 1.