UMass Votes Coalition hosts voter registration event -

Brettell presents on U.S. immigration policies -

UMass field hockey team seeks revenge against undefeated UConn -

UMass running back Marquis Young looks to build off momentum gained against Mississippi State -

UMass hockey announces captains for 2016-17 season -

Andy Isabella finds his niche within the UMass football offense -

The EpiPen Crisis: How did this happen? -

Cymbals Eat Guitars evolve and impress on “Pretty Years” -

Artifex Pereo’s “Passengers” is an otherworldly, haunting ride -

Bastille perfectly encapsulates the “Wild World” we live in -

Candlelight vigil held to mourn deaths of victims of police violence -

UMass hosts William A. Douglass for lecture and chair in Basque cultural studies -

Amherst Select Board discusses imposing fines on those who violate water usage ban -

UMass tennis opens season on high note with performance at Brown Invitational -

UMass women’s soccer using long break to prepare for Atlantic 10 play -

Notebook: Ford ‘takes step forward,’ Williams appears on SportsCenter -

UMass cross country and track and field coach Ken O’Brien hits half century mark with program -

A-10 soccer notebook: Duquesne shuts out Robert Morris 1-0 to win fourth straight -

The blue light situation: When is enough, enough? -

Survivor; awesome yet evil -

American Author to speak at UMass

George Saunders, an American author known mostly for his short stories, will speak tonight in the Student Union Ballroom.

Saunders’ works include the story collections “CivilWarLand in Bad Decline” and “Pastoralia,” as well as novellas like “The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil.” He has also published two essay compilations.

Tonight’s reading is sponsored by Commonwealth Honors College. A committee of senior honors students has selected Saunders’ most recent collection of stories, “In Persuasion Nation,” as required reading for the spring semester.

Like much of his work, “In Persuasion Nation” offers a surreal vision of our soul-less consumer culture, while emphasizing the humanity that sprouts through the cracks. Saunders hits human chords with startling emotion, blending a bizarre sense of humor and a loving attention to character.

Saunders’ stories are particularly renowned for their humor. Their oddball premises range from orphans as marketing test subjects (and then trendsetters) in “Jon” to a crude zombie spinster in “Sea Oak.” The action can be ridiculous, even over the top, but the writing remains subtle in the face of the chaos. His stories, even the goofiest ones, have a knack for blindsiding the reader with gorgeous melancholy.

Often compared to novelist Kurt Vonnegut, Jr, Saunders seems to approach his stories in similar way. He brings rich, relatable characters into a darkly comic variation on reality. The plot builds, the situation gets darker and funnier and the endlessly human characters ground the reader as the story looms in the background, often too big to stomach. The end of a Saunders story, like the end of a Vonnegut story, feels like a punch line; all of the humor and sadness gets twisted together and compressed into a moment of pure literary revelation.

The critics seem to agree. In 2006, Saunders was awarded a MacArthur Foundation Fellowship “genius grant,” for “bringing to contemporary American fiction a sense of humor, pathos, and literary style all his own.” He is also the recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship, an O. Henry Award, and several National Magazine Awards, and writes regularly for The New Yorker, Harper’s Magazine and GQ.

In a 2000 interview with WAG magazine Saunders attributed his writing style to his unique educational background; he received a Bachelors of Science degree in geophysical engineering in 1981.

He said, “ … any claim I might make to originality in my fiction is really just the result of this odd background: basically, just me working inefficiently, with flawed tools, in a mode I don‘t have sufficient background to really understand. Like if you put a welder to designing dresses.”

Saunders’ tender metallurgy may be an accident of science, but what a happy accident it is.

If you can see billboards and pop-up ads for their absurdity, if you think calling good literature “bittersweet” is a criminal reduction, if you love humanity but can‘t stand people, you want to see George Saunders speak.

The event begins at 7 p.m., is free and open to the public.

Garth Brody can be reached at gbrody@student.umass.edu.