Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass men’s soccer heads down to Carolina for a weekend pair of games -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Hill, Benton to be honored at senior night

The abundant youth on the Massachusetts women’s basketball team has been the story from the start of the season.

However, that will not be the case tonight as UMass will honor two of its most important players as they play their last games at the Mullins Center – seniors Diatiema Hill and Kim Benton.

Hill saw considerable action coming off the bench in her freshman year, helping her team to a 17-17 overall record and a sixth place finish in the Atlantic 10.

Hill was forced to undergo season-ending surgery the following year, allowing her to become a redshirt sophomore in 2008-2009, when she started 29-of-30 games.

Although she averaged 5.3 points per game as a redshirt sophomore, Hill was never known for her scoring touch. It was the other parts of her game that shined through, allowing her to become a fixture in the Minutewomen lineup night after night.

Hill posted career-highs in points with 158, rebounds with 111, assists with 87 and steals with 30 last year. Altogether, the statistics came together to illuminate an all-around player who averaged 5.3 points per game, 3.7 rebounds, 2.9 assists and one steal.

It was Hill’s overall ability that earned her another starting spot in the lineup this season, where she continues to impress.

Hill has started all 27 games thus far, averaging 34 minutes per game to go with 5.7 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 1.5 steals. She has helped UMass achieve elite status at the free throw line as well, shooting 86.2 percent from the charity stripe.

Her best game this season came against Saint Louis on Jan. 13, when she led the Minutewomen to victory by scoring a career-high 26 points to go along with 10 rebounds, five assists and four steals.

Kim Benton will also be honored during Senior Night.

She made her debut for UMass on Nov. 10, 2006 against Vermont. She made her presence known immediately, registering seven points and two assists in 12 minutes off the bench. She also hit her first two 3-pointers, a facet of her game that currently resides in the Minutewomen record books.

Benton finished her freshman season in good form, averaging six points per game, along with 1.8 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 0.8 steals.

As a sophomore in the 2007-2008 season, Benton played in all 30 games for the Minutewomen, starting 16.

It wasn’t until the following season when Benton’s presence would truly be felt. As a junior in 2008-09, she started the first eight games of the season and then played considerable minutes off the bench. She finished the season with an average of 4.2 points per game, 1.7 rebounds and 1.8 assists.

This season, Benton is the team’s primary point guard. She is having a career year, averaging 3.8 points per game, 2.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists and one steal.

Her best game came on opening night, when UMass upset Boston University in overtime at the Mullins Center. Benton registered 18 points, two rebounds, three assists and three steals in the match.  

Benton is cemented in the UMass record books in three 3-point categories including: fifth most in a single season (50) in 2006-07, fourth in career 3-point field goals made (102) and 14th in 3-point field goal percentage (.309)

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.