UMass defense can’t stop late Toledo surge, Minutemen fall 42-35 -

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Minutemen look to make it three in a row against OSU

The Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team leads the NCAA in goals scored with 35 in victories over Saint John’s and Hartford, and have scored the most goals in their first two games since the 1990 season.

The No. 18 Minutemen hope to have that type of offensive production when they head to Ohio State to face the Buckeyes for the first time in program history Saturday afternoon.

“Every game on the schedule is a big game, we tell all our guys it’s another game in the season, but there’s some travel involved, we’re going to be playing inside for the first time since I can remember,” UMass coach Greg Cannella said.

The Minutemen have not played a game west of Pennsylvania since 2000, when UMass beat Butler, 12-9 on March 25.

“They’re home, and I’m sure they will be fired up and ready to go, and they’re comfortable playing indoors,” Cannella said.

OSU is coming off a 5-11 loss to No. 15 Bucknell on Saturday after opening their season with a 10-8 victory over Villanova on Feb. 13, opening 2010 as a new member of the Eastern College Athletic Conference, UMass’ former conference.

UMass scored the most goals since 2002 in its 20-10 victory over the Hawks in its home opener last Saturday. Junior midfielder Ryan Hantverk led the way with a career-high four goals, while senior attackman Ryan Smith tallied the first three goals of his career, and senior midfielder Bobby Hayes had his second-straight game with a hat trick.

Even with his team’s ability to score as of late, Cannella knows that the Buckeyes cannot be taken lightly, and wants his players to continue being effective in their offensive zone.

“I try not to get too excited about it, you just hope those guys can be consistent in what they do and their approach,” Cannella said.

The Minutemen got off to a similar start last season, scoring a combined 43 goals in their first three games, with just one ending in defeat.

“It seems as though we are sharing the ball a bunch, which is great news, and we have some guys that can distribute,” Cannella said. “The more you can share the ball, the better off you are going to be.”

Sophomore attackman Art Kell, freshman midfielder Will Manny and Hayes have been instrumental in creating UMass’ offense, especially extra-man opportunities.

Manny leads the team with five assists on the year, and was named the Colonial Athletic Associations Rookie of the Week, while Kell has five goals and two assists.

The Minutemen scored six man-up goals against the Hawks, tying a mark set in 1999. The Buckeyes have allowed 3-of-5 man up goals against opponents so far this season. Even with the two victories, Cannella wants his team to prepare for the Buckeyes like any other opponent.

“Well, obviously you have to prepare to defend OSU the best you can,” Cannella said. “They’re a really good transition team as well, so you want to try to keep them out of transition as much as you can.”

OSU is led by Jeff Tundo, who has four goals and one assist on the year. Both Logan Schuss and James Green each have three goals and one assist. On the defensive front, the Buckeyes have one of the best defensemen in the ECAC in senior captain Scott Foreman, who is second on the team in ground balls with five.

“They’re a very good riding team, and very aggressive on the defensive end, so you have to prepare for all that stuff,” Cannella said. “We need to get our guys ready for really the kind of intensity they bring to the game, they play really hard.”

David Brinch can be reached at dbrinch@student.umass.edu.