Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass men’s soccer heads down to Carolina for a weekend pair of games -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Minutemen still looking for A-10 bid, travel to Dayton

Although getting an NCAA Tournament berth is out of the question, the Massachusetts men’s basketball team still has something to fight for: making the Atlantic 10 Tournament.

The Minutemen (10-17, 4-9 A-10) are 1.5 games ahead of Saint Joseph’s, who is currently in 13th place. The top 12 teams in the conference will play in the A-10 Tournament.

UMass is coming off of two straight losses to George Washington and Saint Louis, and hopes to knock Dayton out of its chances to make the NCAA Tournament after a week of rest.

The Flyers (18-9, 7-6 A-10) are also coming off of two straight losses to Duquesne and No. 18 Temple. Their losing streak hasn’t only hurt their chances of making it past the A-10 Tournament, it has also given the Minutemen a slight chance of finishing the league in seventh place.

If UMass can beat Dayton, it will be two games behind the Flyers with games against La Salle and Rhode Island. But before the Minutemen can worry about any of that, they have to overcome playing in a hostile environment.

The Flyers’ home-court is one of the few arenas with NBA-caliber facilities and holds 13,500 people. UMass coach Derek Kellogg expects the arena to be packed and rowdy.

Dayton media relations reports the game is sold out, the fourth time this season that the team has reached maximum capacity for a home game.

“It’s a huge homecourt advantage,” Kellogg said.

Despite having a high RPI and wins against quality opponents, Dayton’s performance in the A-10 schedule has put itself in danger of missing the NCAA Tournament. It is currently the only team with six conference losses still on the bubble, and suffered a devastating loss earlier this season to the Hawks.

For Kellogg, it means his team will have to work harder to avoid its 10th in-conference loss.

“The one thing you’re going to know is that they’re going to bring maximum effort and play as hard as they possibly can, because when you have a berth like that at stake, that’s what they’re striving for,” Kellogg said.

At this point of the season, Kellogg has two objectives in mind. The first is to make sure his senior captain, Ricky Harris, leaves UMass on a positive note.

Kellogg also wants to allow the future of the Minutemen to gain experience heading into next year. Since losing sophomore David Gibbs to a broken foot, Kellogg has been starting three freshmen, and at times has played four at the same time.

“I’m interested to see where the young guys are,” Kellogg said. “Sometimes, young [players], especially freshmen, either kick it into high gear at this time of the season, or they hit a wall. I think my guys are ready to go.”

Unlike the last game the Minutemen had against the Billikens, the Flyers are an experienced team with seven seniors and four juniors. One of those juniors is Chris Wright (14.6 points per game, 7.4 rebounds per game), who leads Dayton in scoring and rebounds.

He also gives the team a strong defensive presence, averaging 1.4 blocks per game.

As a team, the Flyers (44.1) have the fifth best field-goal shooting percentage in the A-10. While their offense isn’t going to scare anyone, they have allowed 61.2 ppg this season. The only teams allowing fewer points are the three currently tied for first place in the conference (the Owls, SLU and Richmond).

“We need to play smart and make sure we take care of the basketball, because they’re really good when they can pressure you,” Kellogg said.

Adam Miller can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.