Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

No. 20 Minutewomen play to a 2-3 record at Leadoff Classic

Brian Tedder/CollegianThe Massachusetts softball team went 2-3 this past weekend of play at the National Fastpitch Coaches Association Leadoff Classic, with two of the defeats coming from nationally ranked teams.

Offensive Attack Lifts Louisiana over UMass

UMass ended play at the Leadoff Classic with a tough 14-0 loss to No. 18 Louisiana.

The Ragin Cajuns (10-5) took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first on a wild pitch from Sara Plourde that allowed Erikka Murphy to score the first run for Louisiana.

The score would not change until the top of the fourth inning when the Ragin Cajuns’ offense took off and scored 13 runs. Christi Orgeron started off with a solo home run to left field. An error put Gabriele Bridges on base, followed by a single from Lana Bowers that set up a three-run home run from Taryn Broussard. The bases were loaded again due to a second error from the Minutewomen, a walk and a single. Melissa Verde singled to bring home two more Louisiana batters. Two players were left on base, setting up Orgeron’s second homerun of the inning, this time scoring three runs.

After Plourde gave up 10 runs, four of which were earned, Bailey Sanders came in as relief. Bridges hit a solo home run to right center, followed by a two RBI single from Vallie Gaspard and a RBI single from Murphy to end the offensive attack.

Pitcher Donna Bourgeois earned the win, allowing no runs on three hits and striking out six UMass batters. Plourde suffered her second loss of the season.  

The Minutewomen will return to action this weekend at the University of Southern Florida Under Armour Invitational.

No-Hitter Leads UMass

The Minutewomen bounced back in Game 4 of the Leadoff Classic, defeating Illinois State, 1-0. Plourde was credited with the win after pitching her second career no-hitter and tying a UMass record set by Danielle Henderson of 18 strikeouts in seven innings.

“My mindset was just to go after them with everything I had,” Plourde said.

Brandice Balschmitter still holds onto the record for the most strikeouts in a game when she struck out 19 opponents in eight innings.

Redbird’s (8-4) pitcher Megan Warner also had a strong showing, keeping the game scoreless until the sixth inning when the UMass broke through.

Meghan Carta started the bottom of the sixth inning with a double to left center. Jordan Storro singled to drive in pinch runner Jill Andrews to score the game-winning run. The single also served as Storro’s first career hit.

The no-hitter improved Plourde’s record to 5-1 for the season. Plourde has struck out 89 batters in 49.2 innings pitched.

“I think her endurance really paid off, she’s one of the strongest kids on the team,” UMass coach Elaine Sortino said. “She was really able to move the ball around effectively.”

Minutewomen fall to Missouri

On day two of the Leadoff classic, No. 6 Missouri drove in two late runs to defeat the Minutewomen, 2-1.

After three scoreless innings and strong pitching on both sides, the Minutewomen struck first in the top of the fourth. Michelle Libby singled to left field, followed by a Katie Bettencourt single that advanced Libby to third base. Audrey Boutin came through with another single to drive in Libby and take a 1-0 lead.

Missouri (7-2) came alive in the bottom of the fifth inning with a double and a walk to start off the inning. A wild pitch and a stolen base set up an RBI, followed by a single to score the second run.

UMass attempted a comeback in the bottom of the seventh with two players on base, but was stopped by relief pitcher Jana Hainey who was credited with the win.

Plourde was charged with her first loss of the season after allowing two runs on three hits.

UMass Offense Stuggles

Game 2 of Friday resulted in a 3-1 loss to North Carolina State after three early runs that the Maroon and White could not recover from.

Pitcher Sanders struggled against the Wolfpack (7-5), giving up three runs off of an RBI single and a two home runs from Stephanie Call. Plourde came in as relief for Sanders, striking out 12 opponents and allowing just one hit to keep North Carolina at three runs.

However, the Minutewomen could not generate enough offense to come back after the first inning. Whitney Williams doubled to center field, followed by a Meghan Carta single that brought home Williams and scored the lone run of the game for UMass.

Wolfpack pitcher Lindsay Campana earned the win for her team after a strong showing in the circle with 11 strikeouts and four hits allowed.

Magill lifts Minutewomen

A late two-run home run from Kyllie Magill proved to be the difference as No. 20 UMass defeated Mississippi State, 7-6, to start off the weekend at the Leadoff Classic.

The Bulldogs (7-3) took a 1-0 lead when Chelsea Bramlett doubled to left center to get on base first for her team. A wild pitch sent her to third base, followed by a passed ball that allowed her to score an unearned run.

The Minutewomen were quick to answer with three runs in the bottom of the first with a Michelle Libby double to tie up the game. Boutin followed with a single to bring home Libby and pitcher Plourde doubled to right field for her first career hit.

After Mississippi added a second run in the second inning, an Ali Bainbridge two-run home run in the third inning gave the Bulldogs a 4-3 lead.

A double-steal of second and home base from the Maroon and White in the bottom of the third scored Libby and tied the score until the eighth inning, where both teams would score a run.

The Bulldogs took a one-run lead again in the top of the ninth inning, however Magill came through for UMass with a two-run home run to win the game by a single run.

Plourde was credited with her fourth win of the season, striking out nine to help out the Minutewomen.

Geena Lombardi can be reached at glombard@student.umass.edu.