Candlelight vigil held to mourn deaths of victims of police violence -

UMass hosts William A. Douglass for lecture and chair in Basque cultural studies -

Amherst Select Board discusses imposing fines on those who violate water usage ban -

UMass tennis opens season on high note with performance at Brown Invitational -

UMass women’s soccer using long break to prepare for Atlantic 10 play -

Notebook: Ford ‘takes step forward,’ Williams appears on SportsCenter -

UMass cross country and track and field coach Ken O’Brien hits half century mark with program -

A-10 soccer notebook: Duquesne shuts out Robert Morris 1-0 to win fourth straight -

The blue light situation: When is enough, enough? -

Survivor; awesome yet evil -

A ‘Mirror’ into Clinton’s campaign -

UMass a cappella groups S#arp Attitude and The Hexachord’s on ‘Sing It On’ television series -

‘Through the Photographer’s Eyes’ exhibit highlights photojournalism in today’s media -

Designer collaborations steal the show at New York Fashion Week SS17 -

Massachusetts drought heavily impacts local agriculture -

UMass Soccer earns second win of season in 3-2 victory over Hartford -

‘Morris from America’ explores teen angst and the struggles of growing up -

‘Hell or High Water’ an intense, morally ambiguous modern Western -

Read: You won’t regret it -

UMass field hockey hangs tough, falls to No. 18 Stanford -

Obama’s Olympic Beer Bet

So while they’re handing out today’s last medals, viewers might be interested in a cool story the announcers only just touched on! It turns out that President Barack Obama has been keeping a close eye on the Olympic Games just like the rest of the nation, even making bets on todays hockey final between the U.S. and Canada.

President Obama and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper made the hockey game just a little more interesting. They decided to look past the glory and prestige an Olympic gold medal in hockey would bring and add a little alcohol into the mix. In the event of an American win, Harper would have been required to buy Obama a case of the little known Yuengling beer, as it’s comes from the oldest brewery in the U.S. Since that, unfortunately, was not the outcome of the thrilling match, looks like Obama will be treating Harper his native Molson Canadian!

Announcer Bob Costas, instead, chose to focus more on the musical aspects that have been peppering the show thus far. Three Canadian musicians- two women and a man (the winner of Canadian Idol, the girl who performed “O Canada” at the Opening Ceremony, and a Canadian Aboriginal guitarist, respectively)- performed the lack luster anthem of the Closing Ceremony, called “Let’s Have a Party.” Also performed was the anthem of the Olympics themselves, and the Greek National Anthem (a nod to Olympic history, though no Greek has ever won a Winter Olympic medal). This ceremonial part of the end of the games seems to be a lull in the Closing Ceremony.