UMass Votes Coalition hosts voter registration event -

Brettell presents on U.S. immigration policies -

UMass running back Marquis Young looks to build off momentum gained against Mississippi State -

UMass field hockey team seeks revenge against undefeated UConn -

UMass hockey announces captains for 2016-17 season -

Andy Isabella finds his niche within the UMass football offense -

The EpiPen Crisis: How did this happen? -

Cymbals Eat Guitars evolve and impress on “Pretty Years” -

Artifex Pereo’s “Passengers” is an otherworldly, haunting ride -

Bastille perfectly encapsulates the “Wild World” we live in -

Candlelight vigil held to mourn deaths of victims of police violence -

UMass hosts William A. Douglass for lecture and chair in Basque cultural studies -

Amherst Select Board discusses imposing fines on those who violate water usage ban -

UMass tennis opens season on high note with performance at Brown Invitational -

UMass women’s soccer using long break to prepare for Atlantic 10 play -

Notebook: Ford ‘takes step forward,’ Williams appears on SportsCenter -

UMass cross country and track and field coach Ken O’Brien hits half century mark with program -

A-10 soccer notebook: Duquesne shuts out Robert Morris 1-0 to win fourth straight -

The blue light situation: When is enough, enough? -

Survivor; awesome yet evil -

Northampton judge postpones motion for dismissal in Vassell case

vassell3_2_10

Hannah Cohen / Collegian

A judge of the Superior Court of Hampshire County has postponed a motion on Tuesday March 2 to dismiss the case against former University of Massachusetts student Jason Vassell until March 26.  The motion was proposed in late 2008 by Vassell’s defense team, and seeks to dismiss the charges against Vassell based on claims of selective racial prosecution.

The pre-trial hearing for Vassell was to be presented at the court house in Northampton on Tuesday, but it was rescheduled at the request of the prosecutor for the case against Vassell, Assistant District Attorney Elizabeth Farris. The postponement was requested on the basis of the prosecution, stating its need to review files related to the case against Vassell.

Regarding the motion to dismiss, the pre-trial hearing was held in order to discuss the defendant’s plea to discharge the indictment against Vassell.

Vassell was arrested Feb. 3, 2008 on charges of aggravated assault for allegedly stabbing two white males in a contentious altercation at MacKimmie Hall. According to his defense team, Vassell acted in self defense, as his attorneys and supporters hold he was first taunted and then assaulted by the two men he ultimately stabbed. The males involved in the aggravated assault against Vassell were identified in police reports as Jonathan Bosse and John Bowes. Currently, Bosse has faced no charges. Bowes was charged with civil rights violation, but was later acquitted on March 13, 2009. He was sentenced with one year probation and a $200 fine. As for the now 24-year-old Vassell, he could be facing a maximum of thirty years in prison for two counts of aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

This pre-trial hearing was the first in six months. It has been two years since the assault, and no verdict regarding Vassell has been decided upon by the courts.

“It’s terrible how they have railroaded him these past two years. Especially when the others involved received a slap on the wrist,” stated a Justice for Jason supporter, who chose to remain anonymous.

“What happened to the sixth amendment of the Constitution?” asked UMass student Joseph Muccio. “The constitution states that everyone deserves a speedy and just trial. I don’t see that happening here.”

In the brief, which supports the motion to dismiss the charges against Vassell, the defendant accuses the district attorney of engaging in selective prosecution on the basis of race. The trial has opened a series of debates regarding the question of civil rights in the Pioneer Valley. On Feb. 3, supporters gathered in Northampton with signs supporting Vassell, during a candlelight vigil to mark the two year anniversary of his arrest. One sign suggested that institutional racism was alive and well in the Pioneer Valley.

Caitlin Soto can be reached at csoto@student.umass.edu.

5 Responses to “Northampton judge postpones motion for dismissal in Vassell case”
  1. Oscar E. Soto, Esq. says:

Caitlin- Well done. We are all proud of you.

Dad

2. alex says:

Lock him up. the face is he stabbed two people. enough of this bs he acted in self-defense crap. The facts have come out, he came out of his room, escalated the fight, went back into his room to grab a knife, while wearing a ski mask, yeah sounds like self-defense. No disrespect but it is so annoying to hear all minorities on campus claim everything as a racial situation. He’s not about to go to jail cause he’s black, its because he STABBED two people.

3. Derek Khanna says:

Joseph Muccio, apparently you have absolutely no understanding of law. You do have a right to a speedy trial, however, Jason’s lawyer David House has placed motions to elongate his trial. Specifically the racial charged prosecution requires a number of years to work through. Whatever side of this issue we are, we should all acknowledge that legally Jason has essentially waived his right to a speedy trial by such motions. Imagine if you went to court and constantly filed subsidiary motions, would it be the courts obligation to make it a quick trial?

4. Caitlin says:

Alex-
    We’ll leave it to the courts to decide Jason’s fate. Thanks for your opinion.

5. Dan says:

Caitlin, this is a great article!

Alex – you powerfully delegitimize your argument when you complain about “all minorities.” That sort of blanket statement is in itself quite racist.