Amazon textbook contract ending in December 2018 -

UMass field hockey heads into crucial A-10 matchup -

2017 Hockey Special Issue -

International Relations Club tackles tough issues at ‘Foreign Policy Coffee Hour’ -

Sexual assault reports spike on campus -

Californian students react to wildfires back home -

‘My Little Pony: The Movie’ is a surprising animated treat, whether you’re a fan of the show or not -

With a young team, Carvel is preparing the UMass hockey team to thrive -

Letter: UMass hockey is great, but where are the students? -

Boino’s blast gives UMass men’s soccer sole possession of first place in the Atlantic 10 -

UMass freshmen look to play physical, make an impact and improve early on -

UMass hockey sets out to create new program, identity in 2017-18 -

Cale Makar: UMass hockey’s crown jewel -

Ames: If first four games are any indicator, this UMass hockey season could differ for the better -

Josh Couturier looks to find where he fits within UMass lineup -

The straw man fallacy: missing the point on Indigenous Peoples Day -

Power to the Thin Mint: improve the Girls Scouts program -

‘Blade Runner 2049’ has a lot of ideas that it fails to develop -

Early season challenge awaits for UMass hockey in weekend set with Ohio State -

UMass Professor Barbara Krauthamer receives award from Association of Black Women Historians -

Northampton judge postpones motion for dismissal in Vassell case

vassell3_2_10

Hannah Cohen / Collegian

A judge of the Superior Court of Hampshire County has postponed a motion on Tuesday March 2 to dismiss the case against former University of Massachusetts student Jason Vassell until March 26.  The motion was proposed in late 2008 by Vassell’s defense team, and seeks to dismiss the charges against Vassell based on claims of selective racial prosecution.

The pre-trial hearing for Vassell was to be presented at the court house in Northampton on Tuesday, but it was rescheduled at the request of the prosecutor for the case against Vassell, Assistant District Attorney Elizabeth Farris. The postponement was requested on the basis of the prosecution, stating its need to review files related to the case against Vassell.

Regarding the motion to dismiss, the pre-trial hearing was held in order to discuss the defendant’s plea to discharge the indictment against Vassell.

Vassell was arrested Feb. 3, 2008 on charges of aggravated assault for allegedly stabbing two white males in a contentious altercation at MacKimmie Hall. According to his defense team, Vassell acted in self defense, as his attorneys and supporters hold he was first taunted and then assaulted by the two men he ultimately stabbed. The males involved in the aggravated assault against Vassell were identified in police reports as Jonathan Bosse and John Bowes. Currently, Bosse has faced no charges. Bowes was charged with civil rights violation, but was later acquitted on March 13, 2009. He was sentenced with one year probation and a $200 fine. As for the now 24-year-old Vassell, he could be facing a maximum of thirty years in prison for two counts of aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

This pre-trial hearing was the first in six months. It has been two years since the assault, and no verdict regarding Vassell has been decided upon by the courts.

“It’s terrible how they have railroaded him these past two years. Especially when the others involved received a slap on the wrist,” stated a Justice for Jason supporter, who chose to remain anonymous.

“What happened to the sixth amendment of the Constitution?” asked UMass student Joseph Muccio. “The constitution states that everyone deserves a speedy and just trial. I don’t see that happening here.”

In the brief, which supports the motion to dismiss the charges against Vassell, the defendant accuses the district attorney of engaging in selective prosecution on the basis of race. The trial has opened a series of debates regarding the question of civil rights in the Pioneer Valley. On Feb. 3, supporters gathered in Northampton with signs supporting Vassell, during a candlelight vigil to mark the two year anniversary of his arrest. One sign suggested that institutional racism was alive and well in the Pioneer Valley.

Caitlin Soto can be reached at csoto@student.umass.edu.

5 Responses to “Northampton judge postpones motion for dismissal in Vassell case”
  1. Oscar E. Soto, Esq. says:

Caitlin- Well done. We are all proud of you.

Dad

2. alex says:

Lock him up. the face is he stabbed two people. enough of this bs he acted in self-defense crap. The facts have come out, he came out of his room, escalated the fight, went back into his room to grab a knife, while wearing a ski mask, yeah sounds like self-defense. No disrespect but it is so annoying to hear all minorities on campus claim everything as a racial situation. He’s not about to go to jail cause he’s black, its because he STABBED two people.

3. Derek Khanna says:

Joseph Muccio, apparently you have absolutely no understanding of law. You do have a right to a speedy trial, however, Jason’s lawyer David House has placed motions to elongate his trial. Specifically the racial charged prosecution requires a number of years to work through. Whatever side of this issue we are, we should all acknowledge that legally Jason has essentially waived his right to a speedy trial by such motions. Imagine if you went to court and constantly filed subsidiary motions, would it be the courts obligation to make it a quick trial?

4. Caitlin says:

Alex-
    We’ll leave it to the courts to decide Jason’s fate. Thanks for your opinion.

5. Dan says:

Caitlin, this is a great article!

Alex – you powerfully delegitimize your argument when you complain about “all minorities.” That sort of blanket statement is in itself quite racist.