Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Atlantic 10 Tournament begins

The postseason is here as the women’s Atlantic 10 tournament starts Friday, with familiar foes and a couple of new features.

The location of the A-10 tournament used to be on a rotating schedule, changing from year-to-year, but the format has changed. From now on, all games in the tournament will be played at The Show Place Arena in Upper Marlboro, Md. The change was made because the league wanted a more neutral site, located near the league offices.

As usual though, the top four seeds of the tournament have a first round bye. Xavier received the No. 1 seed in the tournament for the second year in a row. Dayton got the second seed this year and is receiving its first bye in nine years. Temple notched the third seed of the tournament, while Charlotte – the reigning A-10 champion, rounds out the top four seeds.

No. 5 SJU (16-13, 9-5) vs. No. 12 Fordham (8-21, 2-12)

The first game of the tournament after UMass takes on Richmond is the most lopsided matchup of the first round as Fordham will try to upset Saint Joseph’s.  

The Rams are now on a seven-game losing streak to end conference play. Fordham will look to take positives out of its most recent loss, 74-59, to No. 1 seed Xavier.

The Rams snuck into the tourney with a tiebreaker between La Salle and Rhode Island. The three-way tie was broken, but still left the Explorers and Fordham tied for the 12 seed. The Rams received the nod after winning a coin-flip for the postseason.

No. 7 SBU (21-8, 9-5) vs. No. 10 SLU (11-18, 5-9)

Although the Bonnies had an impressive 20-win season, they racked up a 9-5 record in conference play, and were tied with St. Joe’s, Duquesne and Charlotte for fourth in the conference.

SBU is now the lowest seed of those four teams, and will face the 10 seed Billikens Friday evening. The Bonnies are on a four-game win streak with victories against George Washington, Richmond, Duquesne and URI. Dana Mitchell leads the Bonnies with 15.3 points per game in conference play.

The Billikens are led by Amanda Kemezys down low. Saint Louis’ center was named to the all-conference second team.

No. 6 Duquesne (19-10, 9-5) vs. No. 11 GW (6-21, 3-11)

The Dukes and Colonials face off in the nightcap Friday night. Duquesne can be proud of a 9-5 conference record, but again, because of the tie-breaker, does not have the privilege of a first round bye.

Samantha Pollino, Keri Pryor and Alex Gensler are Duquesne’s top three scorers. All three average double-digit points per contest.

Although GW was 3-11 in conference play, the Colonials are closest in relation to the site of the tournament in Upper Marlboro. Brooke Wilson is a spark for her team on defense and the boards, and led all freshmen in rebounds and steals on her way to being named to the A-10 All-Rookie team.

No. 1 Xavier (24-3, 13-0) vs. Richmond (18-11, 7-7)/UMass (11-18, 5-9)

Nationally-ranked Xavier will come in as the clear-cut favorites, no matter who wins the game between Richmond and UMass. The Musketeers cruised to an undefeated conference schedule and have one of the most talented rosters in recent A-10 history.

Xavier forward Amber Harris was named the A-10 Player of the Year, just outshining fellow Musketeer Ta’Shia Phillips for the honor.

No. 4 Charlotte (16-12, 9-5)  vs. SJU (16-13, 9-5)/Fordham (8-21, 2-12)

The 49ers are primed and ready for the quarterfinal round on Saturday afternoon, but will have to await the winner of the game between the Hawks and Rams.

If St. Joe’s defeats Fordham, the game against Charlotte should be competitive.

No. 2 Dayton (23-6, 11-3) vs. SBU (21-8, 9-5)/SLU (11-18, 5-9)

The Flyers do not have a standout post player, but come into the game with a very balanced team, averaging 42.6 rebounds per game. Dayton has also won eight of its last nine games – the lone loss coming against Xavier in overtime.

No. 3 Temple (22-7, 11-3) vs. Duquesne (19-10, 9-5)/GW (6-21, 3-11)

Temple’s aggressive defense led them all season, but it is uncertain how much offensive firepower the team really has. Shaqwedia Wallace and Kristen McCarthy lead the Owls offensively. The pair has over 100 3-point field goals attempted this season.

Neil Carroll can be reached at nacarroll@student.umass.edu.