UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Minutemen play best hockey with their backs against the wall

Facing a late-season collapse, the Massachusetts hockey team stepped up with a pair of wins over the weekend against Maine to earn a spot in the Hockey East tournament.

Despite losing six-straight games, the Minutemen (18-16-0, 13-14-0 HEA) still had an opportunity to get into the playoffs with a weekend sweep over the No. 17-ranked Black Bears (16-15-3, 13-12-2 HEA) at Alfond Arena.

With its back against the wall, UMass came through with a 5-2 win on Friday, followed by the 4-3 playoff-clinching win the following night at a venue where it had not won since the 2003-04 season.

On Saturday, the Minutemen continued their momentum, scoring three goals in the final 10 minutes of the first period. Sophomore Casey Wellman scored his team-leading 20th goal of the season on a loose puck in front of the Maine net to give UMass a lead that wasn’t surmounted.

Just one minute, 44 seconds later, senior Justin Braun added a second score when he skated around a defender and beat freshman goaltender Shawn Sirman for his sixth goal of the year. Following the score, Sirman was replaced by Dave Wilson between the pipes and the Black Bears responded with a goal of their own from Jeff Dimmen to close the gap.

In the final minute of the frame, Braun recorded his second goal of the contest while UMass was on a five-on-three power play to increase the lead back to two.

Maine received a power play opportunity in the first few minutes of the second period and capitalized with Gustav Nyquist’s 18th goal of the season. The rest of the frame, however, went in favor of the Minutemen as senior Brett Watson netted UMass’ final goal of the contest with his third score in as many games.

Other than a last-minute goal, goaltender Paul Dainton stopped several Black Bear opportunities in the final period to preserve the win for the Minutemen. The junior made 35 saves in all, including 13 in the third frame to earn one of his most significant victories.

It was much of the same the previous night when UMass built up an early lead and held on for a 5-2 win. Despite being outshot 27-24 by Maine, it was the Minutemen who had the offensive outpour, receiving multi-point nights from four players.

Sophomore T.J. Syner got the scoring started early with his seventh goal of the season just 52 seconds into the game. The remainder of the opening period, however, was an offensive struggle, as both teams’ defenses reduced scoring opportunities.

The Minutemen dominated the second frame, scoring three times to take a commanding 4-0 lead and forcing the Black Bears to replace Sirman with Wilson in goal. Braun netted two goals in the period, while sophomore Matt Irwin scored his seventh goal of the season on a shot atop the faceoff circle.

In an attempt to make a comeback, Maine got on the board towards the end of the frame with a power play goal from Spencer Abbott. Midway through the final period, the Black Bears scored their second goal as Will O’Neil deflected a shot off the post to score his sixth goal of the year.

Maine wouldn’t come any closer though, as Dainton and the UMass defense held off the Black Bears’ attack to keep the playoff hopes of the Minutemen alive.

With the pair of wins, UMass advances to face Boston College in the Hockey East Quarterfinals next weekend at Chestnut Hill.

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.