Twitter executive speaks to future entrepreneurs -

Monday, March 2, 2015

UMass closes out regular season on a high note with victory over URI -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Gang of Four loses its essence on dreary ‘What Happens Next’ -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Students should take action to secure state funding for UMass -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Trio of seniors shine in UMass women’s basketball’s Senior Day win -

Monday, March 2, 2015

ESPN employees seek to get women involved in technology -

Monday, March 2, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises to 11-3 win over Holy Cross Saturday -

Monday, March 2, 2015

New ‘research’ on moral dilemmas -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Twin River unveil infectious, exciting debut LP -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Big Sean reaches for the top with solid “Dark Sky Paradise” -

Monday, March 2, 2015

SGA hosts first annual Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Monday, March 2, 2015

The Weekly Dead with Jack and Alex – ‘Them’ and ‘The Distance’ -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

UMass to host free concert featuring Kesha, Juicy J to deter students from participating in ‘Blarney’ -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to 0-4 with Saturday’s defeat to Brown -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Strong second half snaps three-game losing streak for UMass -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

‘UMass basketball’ returns in victory over Fordham -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

First quarter woes sink UMass men’s lacrosse in Grant Whiteway’s return -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey falls flat in regular season finale to UConn -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey stumbles offensively against UConn’s tough defensive corps -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass seeks increased energy as it hosts Fordham -

Friday, February 27, 2015

Minutemen suffer first loss of the season to Yale

The offense was there. The result was not.

The Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team fell to Yale Friday night, 13-12, in a game characterized by back-and-forth scoring from both teams.

Matt Gibson, who scored five goals and added two assists for the Bulldogs (2-0) for a career-best seven points, netted his most important one with 34 seconds left to hand the Minutemen (2-1) their first loss of the 2010 season.

“It’s disappointing, but our guys came back, showed a lot of perseverance, facing the adversity that we had, to tie the game up and we actually had the ball at the end of the game,” UMass coach Greg Cannella said.

UMass was down 12-9 with five minutes to go in the fourth quarter, but came from behind with back-to-back goals from freshman midfielder Will Manny. After the pair of goals, sophomore attackman Steve D’Amario tied the game with his first career goal off of a pass from Bobby Hayes on a man-up possession, with less than a minute and a half to go in regulation.

Gibson, however, capitalized off of a Minutemen turnover and scored on a fast break to lead the Bulldogs to their second win of the season.

“In those situations, you would hope to be a little bit better, we weren’t great there, they got the ball down, there was a scramble for it and they scored, so that’s how this game goes,” Cannella said.

Along with Manny, UMass was led by senior midfielder Bobby Hayes (two goals), as the Minutemen had seven different players score, including the first eight coming from eight different players.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Tim McCormack made 12 saves in the loss, while Jonathan Falcone stopped seven, including five in the first half.

“If you score 12 goals, you hope you are going to win the game, that’s what’s disappointing,” Cannella said.

With the defeat, UMass’ 45-game streak of scoring 11 or more goals and winning came to an end, a stretch that went back to a 13-12 loss to Johns Hopkins in 2002.

The Minutemen scored 15 and 20 goals respectively in their first two games, both victories over Sacred Heart and Hartford.

The Bulldogs were led by Gibson, Brian Douglass (two goals) and Gregory Mahony (two goals), as the team outshot the Minutemen 44-30 in the game, including 23-13 in the second half.

UMass generated its scoring opportunities from tough defensive play from sophomore defenseman Tom Celentani. With a big hit, he made it unable for the Bulldogs to clear, and then saved a possession on the 11th goal on a loose ball at the midfield line. Celentani had two ground balls and caused three turnovers in the loss.

“Tommy’s made plays all year, he’s been solid, we’re very happy with his progress and where he’s at,” Cannella said.

“He has a good sense of the game, he’s very composed out there on the field, and in the clearing game as well. We played good defense at times today, not great overall, and that’s something we’re going to need to improve on.”

The Minutemen led 7-4 early on in the second quarter, but a tight Bulldog defense surrendered just one goal over a 32-minute span after an Art Kell goal five and half minutes into the second frame.

In that time period, the Bulldogs scored seven goals, including two from Gibson. Hayes finally broke through after 22 minutes, cutting the deficit to two. The Minutemen were held scoreless in the third quarter, the first time UMass was shutout in a quarter so far this season.

UMass looks to rebound when it returns to Garber Field to take on Albany on Tuesday.

David Brinch can be reached at dbrinch@student.umass.edu.