Front to Back: Week of Oct. 27, 2014 -

Friday, October 31, 2014

Blog Post: What the FAC -

Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Minutewomen fall in A-10 tournament to Richmond

Although the Massachusetts women’s basketball team held Brittani Shells to nine points and eight rebounds in the opening game of the Atlantic 10 tournament, the Richmond defense clamped down on the Minutewomen to knock UMass out of the postseason with a 54-47 victory.

“I thought we had a good game plan,” UMass coach Marnie Dacko said. “We came out and pressed a little bit, and in the half court played a 2-3 zone. We struggled putting the ball in the basket, and we got great looks, but in the game of basketball you have to be able to put the ball in the bucket.”

Richmond led UMass by three points with 34 seconds left when the Spiders’ Rachel Bilney hauled in an offensive rebound that eventually stole the victory for her team.

Bilney grabbed a rebound off of a Crystal Goring miss and Richmond called a timeout. During the next play, Bilney drove to the UMass hoop and was fouled by Jasmine Watson, sending her to the free-throw line and consequently stretching the lead.

“We had an opportunity to win the ball game at the end,” Dacko said. “We played some great defense and just could not come away with the right rebound.”

UMass led 24-23 at the break, but could not keep the lead due to a lack of offense and allowed Richmond to pull ahead. The Spiders had 20 of their 44 rebounds on offense, while the Minutewomen pulled down 30 rebounds in the contest.

“They had some key offensive rebounds and I think that really hurt us at the end of the game,” Marnie Dacko said. “I think the other thing that hurt us was that we had an opportunity to open up to about 15 points in the first half, and we had open looks and open layups, but because of the tournament situation our kids played a little tight.”

Diatiema Hill had 10 points, five rebounds, five assists and two steals for UMass. Hill and senior Kim Benton played their best defensive games of the season up top in the 2-3 zone in the first half.

Benton finished the game with six points on 2-of-6 shooting, as well as recording four assists and two steals. In her last game with the Minutewomen it was a bittersweet ending for Benton, who now leads the program in career-games played with 119 in her career.

UMass held Shells – the A-10’s leading scorer coming into the game – to single digits, but allowed Abby Oliver – the conference’s Sixth Player of the Year – to score 16 points and record five rebounds, three assists and two steals. Oliver picked up the slack left by Shells, going 2-of-4 from beyond the arc and 4-of-4 from the line.

Jasmine Watson, who was named the A-10 Rookie of the Year last week, had nine points and seven rebounds, also going 5-of-5 from the free-throw line. She was in foul trouble, however, towards the end of the game, netting four total.

Sophomore Nicole Jones replaced the freshman forward down low in the first half and had four blocks, four points and four rebounds in the contest. She was also perfect at the charity stripe, hitting two free throws in the game.

Kristina Danella was also stifled by the Richmond defense and amassed only four points, six rebounds and two blocks in the game.

Though the Minutewomen end their season at 11-19 overall, Dacko feels the core of the team will return next season where she hopes to do better.

“We’ve got everybody back but Kim Benton,” Dacko said. “This team is going to work hard and this team is going to make some noise.”

Neil Carroll can be reached at nacarrol@student.umass.edu.