UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

Minutemen look to rebound after first loss of season

The Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team looks to bounce back after a tough loss to Yale on Friday night when they return to Garber Field to take on Albany this afternoon.

“They’re loaded on the offensive end, they have athletes that can play,” UMass coach Greg Cannella said.

“So it’s a challenge for us, coming off a loss on Friday, and they’re coming off of a loss on Saturday, so both team are going to be clawing a little bit,” Cannella said.

The Minutemen (2-1) fell to the Bulldogs Friday night 13-12, in a game characterized by back-and-forth scoring by both teams, along with falling out of the Nike/Inside Lacrosse Media Men’s Division I Media Poll.

Matt Gibson, who scored five goals and added two assists for the Bulldogs for a career-best seven points, netted his most important one with 34 seconds left to give UMass their first loss of the 2010 season.

For the Minutemen, freshman midfielder Will Manny led the charge with his first career hat trick, while UMass senior midfielder Bobby Hayes (two goals) netted two goals. The Minutemen had seven different players score, including the first eight coming from eight different players.

“At times they played well, and at times they didn’t,” Cannella said. “We haven’t been great in scramble situations; we haven’t been great at man-down, and that has to do with both sides of the ball and between the lines.”

The Great Danes (0-3) are coming off a 16-9 defeat to No. 14 Delaware, as the Albany defense surrendered eight goals to Curtis Dickson, but almost got their first victory in a 13-12 loss to Siena the week before.

The Great Danes are led by attackmen Joe Resetarits, Brian Caufield and Dave Brock, who have combined for 18 goals and nine points.

Last season, the then-13th ranked Minutemen fell to the Great Danes, 13-9, even though UMass outshot its hosts 48-31, and received a ninth-career hat trick from senior Jim Connolly. The contest was tied six times, and for the first time in six years, was decided by more than one goal.

The Great Danes were led by Resetarits, who scored five goals on seven shots, while Caufield and Brock had three goals and four assists and two goals and two assists, respectively.

The Minutemen, who were in the midst of a three-game winning streak, went on to win four of their next five games in order to gain momentum going into the latter half of their campaign.

The Great Danes went on to finish the 2009 season with a .500 record (7-7), including a 3-2 conference record in America East.

“In the last seven years, we haven’t done really well against these guys, so hopefully we can get out there and play a good game,” Cannella said.

After their first road game, UMass had just three days in order to prepare for their next opponent. But Cannella knows that even with home-field advantage, playing two games in five days is a tough feat for any team.

“Anytime you play at home, it helps you, especially these midweek games, but Albany has come out here and beat us on the road, so we can’t count on that, we just have to focus on playing the best we can,” Cannella said.

“It’s hard in these short turnover games to do all your focus on yourselves, you do a little bit, but you have to concentrate on your opponent as well and prepare.”

All-time, the Great Danes hold a 5-4 advantage over the Minutemen, but UMass pulled out 9-8 victory in 2008 that saw it win after four consecutive one-goal losses.

David Brinch can be reached at dbrinch@student.umass.edu.