John McCutcheon reflects on his time at UMass, admits it’s time for change -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass downs Dayton in bounce-back win -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass athletic director John McCutcheon to take job at UCSB -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass encourages responsible celebrating, modifies guest policy ahead of Super Bowl -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball returns home to Mullins Center with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Microsoft introduces Windows 10, Codename Spartan and the HoloLens -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cheap gas, a speed bump for the planet -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friday night a chance at redemption for UMass hockey -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beautiful focuses on body image and loving oneself -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Minutewomen set to redeem themselves against the Bonnies -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball seeks more consistency out of its veterans -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass hockey hopes to ride momentum into Friday’s matchup against Boston University -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tips for maintain and transitioning to a healthier lifestyle -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

MASSPIRG urges McDonalds to stop purchasing meat raised with antibiotics -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to avoid, treat and prevent Computer Vision Syndrome as a college student -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Obama and Modi strengthen ties between U.S. and India -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass receives research honor from the Carnegie Foundation -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Islamophobia is a form of racism that needs to be stopped -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Björk gets personal on breakup album, ‘Vulnicura’ -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass Dining nominated for Seafood Champion Award -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Minutemen look to rebound after first loss of season

The Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team looks to bounce back after a tough loss to Yale on Friday night when they return to Garber Field to take on Albany this afternoon.

“They’re loaded on the offensive end, they have athletes that can play,” UMass coach Greg Cannella said.

“So it’s a challenge for us, coming off a loss on Friday, and they’re coming off of a loss on Saturday, so both team are going to be clawing a little bit,” Cannella said.

The Minutemen (2-1) fell to the Bulldogs Friday night 13-12, in a game characterized by back-and-forth scoring by both teams, along with falling out of the Nike/Inside Lacrosse Media Men’s Division I Media Poll.

Matt Gibson, who scored five goals and added two assists for the Bulldogs for a career-best seven points, netted his most important one with 34 seconds left to give UMass their first loss of the 2010 season.

For the Minutemen, freshman midfielder Will Manny led the charge with his first career hat trick, while UMass senior midfielder Bobby Hayes (two goals) netted two goals. The Minutemen had seven different players score, including the first eight coming from eight different players.

“At times they played well, and at times they didn’t,” Cannella said. “We haven’t been great in scramble situations; we haven’t been great at man-down, and that has to do with both sides of the ball and between the lines.”

The Great Danes (0-3) are coming off a 16-9 defeat to No. 14 Delaware, as the Albany defense surrendered eight goals to Curtis Dickson, but almost got their first victory in a 13-12 loss to Siena the week before.

The Great Danes are led by attackmen Joe Resetarits, Brian Caufield and Dave Brock, who have combined for 18 goals and nine points.

Last season, the then-13th ranked Minutemen fell to the Great Danes, 13-9, even though UMass outshot its hosts 48-31, and received a ninth-career hat trick from senior Jim Connolly. The contest was tied six times, and for the first time in six years, was decided by more than one goal.

The Great Danes were led by Resetarits, who scored five goals on seven shots, while Caufield and Brock had three goals and four assists and two goals and two assists, respectively.

The Minutemen, who were in the midst of a three-game winning streak, went on to win four of their next five games in order to gain momentum going into the latter half of their campaign.

The Great Danes went on to finish the 2009 season with a .500 record (7-7), including a 3-2 conference record in America East.

“In the last seven years, we haven’t done really well against these guys, so hopefully we can get out there and play a good game,” Cannella said.

After their first road game, UMass had just three days in order to prepare for their next opponent. But Cannella knows that even with home-field advantage, playing two games in five days is a tough feat for any team.

“Anytime you play at home, it helps you, especially these midweek games, but Albany has come out here and beat us on the road, so we can’t count on that, we just have to focus on playing the best we can,” Cannella said.

“It’s hard in these short turnover games to do all your focus on yourselves, you do a little bit, but you have to concentrate on your opponent as well and prepare.”

All-time, the Great Danes hold a 5-4 advantage over the Minutemen, but UMass pulled out 9-8 victory in 2008 that saw it win after four consecutive one-goal losses.

David Brinch can be reached at dbrinch@student.umass.edu.