UMass hockey falls flat in regular season finale to UConn -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey stumbles offensively against UConn’s tough defensive corps -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass seeks increased energy as it hosts Fordham -

Friday, February 27, 2015

Report: UMass continues search for new athletic director, DeFilippo not an option -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UPDATE: Police to charge UMass football player with two counts of aggravated assault and battery -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Students for Justice in Palestine, administration react to inflammatory posters -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass falls short, lacks energy in 82-71 loss to Saint Joseph’s -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Drake’s surprise mixtape yields few surprises -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Potential shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security offers chance for Republican legislature to learn from its mistakes -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Winless UMass faces Brown -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Jose Gonzalez returns with graceful “Vestiges & Claws” -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

SGA to host Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass women’s basketball finishes road schedule with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Keystone XL pipeline sparks pollution awareness -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dartmouth and Fordham to start stretch of key games for Minutewomen -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

DeAndre Bembry has career day in win over UMass -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Discussion on Palestine incorporates history as well as recent posters targeting SJP -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass set for season finale in Connecticut -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Imagine Dragons deliver nothing but “Smoke & Mirrors” on their second album. -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass student files federal civil rights lawsuit against Amherst police officers after ‘Blarney’ arrest -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

UMass competes in final indoor event of season

In their final event of the indoor season, the Massachusetts track and field teams came away with respectable performances heading into the halfway point of their season.

While neither of the two teams dominated the field in any single event, each athlete fared well in his or her specialty.

The Minutemen visited Boston University for the second consecutive week and third time this season as they competed in the two-day IC4A Championship. They were not able to tally any points after the first day of competition, but had several performances to be proud of.

Sean Busch, UMass’ best pole vaulter and a school record holder, helped get the meet off to a good start. He vaulted to a height of 15-09.00 feet, which ties him for first place in UMass indoor pole vault history with Ken Schneider who hit that height in 2002.

Additionally, the Minutemen saw encouraging showings from its distance medley relay team and senior hurdler Tyler Cotto. Scott VanderMolen, Daniel Schwartz, Ryan DiOrio and Josh Boone combined for a third-place finish in the preliminary event Saturday with their time of nine minutes, 55.80 seconds and left themselves in good position for the finals. Cotto turned in a solid performance in his signature event, the 55-meter hurdles, for the second straight week as he finished in 7.53 seconds and also sat in fourth place going into day two.

Rounding out day one’s events were 3,000-meter runners Jonathon Pierce and Daniel Barry, who finished 16th and 20th respectively, long jumper Zachary Koncki who’s leap of 21-10.25 feet left him in 19th place, and the 4×400-meter relay team who finished in 26th place.

After a good showing in the preliminary events and several athletes in contention, the Minutemen were not able to capitalize and only placed in one event in the finals.

The squad’s distance medley relay team turned in a time of 10:00.73, which was good enough for seventh place. Cotto, who sat in fourth place overall in the 55-meter hurdles Saturday, qualified for the finals and raced, but did not finish. No other members of the team finished in Sunday’s finals.

The Minutewomen traveled to Roxbury, Mass. for the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championship, and were able to best their male counterparts in competition.

In an impressive showing on day one of the championship, UMass saw more of what it has relied on all year. A healthy mix of veteran leadership and underclassmen standouts helped the team into 23rd place heading into day two of the meet.

The shot put event saw two Minutewomen in contention. Lisa Wilson set a distance of 45-05.75 feet with her throw, bettering her own personal best of 45-03.50 feet. She finished the preliminary event in seventh place, and still holds the school record for the shot put for the Minutewomen. Right behind Wilson was Nalis Mbianda, whose distance of 41-04.50 feet left her in 21st place.

The 4×800-meter relay team, consisting on Courtney Baldwin, Karen Roa, Gina Perno and Lauren Stocker, raced to a 12th-place finish and the second best time in school history. Their mark of 9:15.10 put them in the record book, and served as the best time achieved by any 4×800-meter relay team this season at UMass.

The Minutewomen closed out their indoor season on Sunday and finished strongly in three events.

Nicole Pompei proved that she can lead a team, as she did for UMass on the final day of competition, placing sixth in the pole vault. Pompei reached a height of 12-01.50 feet, a mark which leaves her second all-time at UMass in the event.

Junior Stephanie Aguguo, who won the triple jump event at the New England Championship last weekend, placed 10th in this national event on Sunday with her mark of 39-01.75 feet.

The distance medley relay team, comprised of Karen Roa, Courtney Baldwin, Gina Perno and Michelle Jenssen also placed eighth with their time of 11:49.96.

Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams will take three weeks off from competition as they rest and begin to adjust to New England’s weather before heading into their first outdoor action April 3.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.