Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Conte Forum hosts best-of-three between UMass and BC

Boston College has already defeated the Massachusetts hockey team on three occasions this year. The postseason, however, is the beginning of a whole new season.

This weekend, UMass will look to change its luck against BC in a best-of-three series in the opening round of the Hockey East tournament at Conte Forum. The Minutemen (18-16-0, 13-14-0 HEA) earned a playoff berth after winning both games against then-No. 17 Maine last weekend at Alfond Arena.

On Friday, UMass received multi-point nights from four different players to claim the 5-2 victory over the Black Bears. Senior Justin Braun scored two goals to lead the offensive attack, while junior goaltender Paul Dainton made 25 saves between the pipes.

The following night, the Minutemen began scoring early with three goals in the final 10 minutes of the first period. Braun recorded two more goals and Dainton made 35 saves to hold off the Maine offense long enough to earn the playoff-clinching win.

The Eagles (21-10-3, 16-8-3 HEA), meanwhile, faced conference-leader New Hampshire in a home-and-home series over the weekend. In the first game on Friday, BC and the Wildcats battled to a 3-3 tie in Durham. The Eagles were in control heading into the third period with a 3-0 lead, but UNH erased the deficit with three goals to force the deadlock. In another closely-contested game on Saturday, BC broke a tie by scoring with less than three minutes left to play in the final frame to earn the 3-2 win.

“We’ve got a great weekend to come off. BC had a win and a tie so they’ve got a good weekend to come off,” UMass coach Don Cahoon said. “I’m not thinking about that, I think that this is a whole new season.”

The Eagles swept the Minutemen in the regular season with 3-1 and 7-1 wins at the Mullins Center, along with a 2-1 overtime win at Conte Forum. Including the three wins in the regular season, the Eagles are 42-10-3 all-time against the Minutemen and have won six of the last seven meetings.

“We’ve shown we can be a terrific team, but we’ve also shown our dark side,” Cahoon said. “I’m hoping this weekend we show our bright side and we’re good from start to finish. That’s the only way we can prepare for BC and not get carried away with what’s happened behind us.”

The two teams first met in the Hockey East tournament in 1995 in UMass’ first playoff appearance. Despite defeating BC 5-4 in that play-in game, the Minutemen would lose to Maine in the quarterfinals.

In 2005, UMass and the Eagles would meet again in the conference tournament. This time, however, BC would get the edge, winning 2-1 and 5-1 to advance past the quarterfinals. After defeating the Minutemen, the Eagles would go on to win the Hockey East tournament title.

Conte Forum has given UMass trouble, where it hasn’t won in the past few years. The last win for the Minutemen on BC’s ice was back on Nov. 17, 2007 by a score of 3-2. Dainton made 30 saves in the contest and has five 30-plus save games against the Eagles, including a career-high 39 in a 4-3 overtime win on Nov. 22, 2008.

Cahoon realizes the difficulty of winning games on the road in the playoffs, but feels his team has the ability.

“We’ve got to want it more, win more battles, make more plays, and we’ve got to just find a way to outcompete them,” Cahoon said. “It’s a tall order but it’s doable.”

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.