UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Conte Forum hosts best-of-three between UMass and BC

Boston College has already defeated the Massachusetts hockey team on three occasions this year. The postseason, however, is the beginning of a whole new season.

This weekend, UMass will look to change its luck against BC in a best-of-three series in the opening round of the Hockey East tournament at Conte Forum. The Minutemen (18-16-0, 13-14-0 HEA) earned a playoff berth after winning both games against then-No. 17 Maine last weekend at Alfond Arena.

On Friday, UMass received multi-point nights from four different players to claim the 5-2 victory over the Black Bears. Senior Justin Braun scored two goals to lead the offensive attack, while junior goaltender Paul Dainton made 25 saves between the pipes.

The following night, the Minutemen began scoring early with three goals in the final 10 minutes of the first period. Braun recorded two more goals and Dainton made 35 saves to hold off the Maine offense long enough to earn the playoff-clinching win.

The Eagles (21-10-3, 16-8-3 HEA), meanwhile, faced conference-leader New Hampshire in a home-and-home series over the weekend. In the first game on Friday, BC and the Wildcats battled to a 3-3 tie in Durham. The Eagles were in control heading into the third period with a 3-0 lead, but UNH erased the deficit with three goals to force the deadlock. In another closely-contested game on Saturday, BC broke a tie by scoring with less than three minutes left to play in the final frame to earn the 3-2 win.

“We’ve got a great weekend to come off. BC had a win and a tie so they’ve got a good weekend to come off,” UMass coach Don Cahoon said. “I’m not thinking about that, I think that this is a whole new season.”

The Eagles swept the Minutemen in the regular season with 3-1 and 7-1 wins at the Mullins Center, along with a 2-1 overtime win at Conte Forum. Including the three wins in the regular season, the Eagles are 42-10-3 all-time against the Minutemen and have won six of the last seven meetings.

“We’ve shown we can be a terrific team, but we’ve also shown our dark side,” Cahoon said. “I’m hoping this weekend we show our bright side and we’re good from start to finish. That’s the only way we can prepare for BC and not get carried away with what’s happened behind us.”

The two teams first met in the Hockey East tournament in 1995 in UMass’ first playoff appearance. Despite defeating BC 5-4 in that play-in game, the Minutemen would lose to Maine in the quarterfinals.

In 2005, UMass and the Eagles would meet again in the conference tournament. This time, however, BC would get the edge, winning 2-1 and 5-1 to advance past the quarterfinals. After defeating the Minutemen, the Eagles would go on to win the Hockey East tournament title.

Conte Forum has given UMass trouble, where it hasn’t won in the past few years. The last win for the Minutemen on BC’s ice was back on Nov. 17, 2007 by a score of 3-2. Dainton made 30 saves in the contest and has five 30-plus save games against the Eagles, including a career-high 39 in a 4-3 overtime win on Nov. 22, 2008.

Cahoon realizes the difficulty of winning games on the road in the playoffs, but feels his team has the ability.

“We’ve got to want it more, win more battles, make more plays, and we’ve got to just find a way to outcompete them,” Cahoon said. “It’s a tall order but it’s doable.”

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.