UMass defense can’t stop late Toledo surge, Minutemen fall 42-35 -

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Harvard and Providence travel to Amherst to face UMass

While the best offense can be a good defense, a team could also outscore its opponents by nearly 17 goals.

Going into this week’s games against No. 13 Harvard (2-1) and Providence (0-2), the No. 19-ranked Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team holds a 58-41 scoring advantage over opponents.

The Minutemen are 5-2 in the series against Harvard dating back to 2003. During that span, neither team has won at home.

In the last meeting, UMass won 7-3, but UMass coach Greg Canella doesn’t foresee an easy victory against the Crimson this time.

“Harvard’s excellent, they have athletes everywhere,” Canella said. “[Harvard head coach and assistant coach] John Tillman and Kevin Warne have done a great job recruiting there. They’re young in a lot of positions but they’re very good defensively.”

In its first three games, Harvard forced 18 total turnovers and allowed 8.68 goals per game.

A big part of UMass’ offensive output (11 goals) comes from midfielder Bobby Hayes. Hayes started the season with four goals against Sacred Heart en route to scoring multiple goals in all four games this season.

Hayes’ production puts him on pace for a career season, as he is one goal away from matching last season’s career-high 12 goals in 15 games for the Minutemen (3-1).

Hayes leads a potent UMass offensive threat that ranks second in the nation in scoring offense (15.67 gpg) and points per game (25) in all of Division I.

Another aspect of what makes the midfielders so dangerous for the Minutemen is the emergence of junior Ryan Hantverk who also added four scores against the Pioneers (1-3), as well as two assists.

Hantverk and Hayes have six combined turnovers this season on a UMass team that ranks fifth in the nation in turnovers per game with 13.33.

The solid ball control for the Minutemen bodes well for redshirt sophomore Tim McCormack. Four games into his first full season starting in goal, McCormack ranks second in the Colonial Athletic Association with a .479 save percentage, averaging 8.75 saves per game.

While the Minutemen have a conference-low 3.25 penalty minutes per game this season, UMass’ .312 penalty-kill percentage is the worst in the CAA.

Attacks Dean Gibbons (10 goals), Jeff Cohen (eight goals) and Kevin Vaughan (five goals) lead a Crimson offense that should make for a high-scoring game when matched up against the Minutemen.

“It’s going to be a challenge,” Canella said. “They’ve probably had this [game] circled since we beat them at their place last season, so it should be a good game.”

The Friars have 10 total goals to their credit in two games this season, five less than the Minutemen scored in their season opener alone.

Amherst is the last stop on a season-long four-game road trip for Providence, a team that hasn’t had a winning record in the past five seasons despite making it to the NCAA tournament in 2006. Three players have a share of the team-lead in goals scored with two apiece.  Frank Cicero and Tim Finnegan have each started in goal for Providence this season.

Mike Gillmeister can be reached at mgillmei@student.umass.edu.