UMass men’s lacrosse’s win streak snapped in battle with No. 18 Towson -

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Closing arguments presented, jury deliberations begin Friday in first of four 2012 gang rape trials -

Friday, March 27, 2015

UMass library opens groundbreaking 3D printing lab -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse aims another perfect conference record against Duquesne -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass heads home to take on Albany -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coming off weekend victory, UMass softball prepares for series against St. Josephs -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

‘The Last Man on Earth?’ more like, ‘The Worst Show on Earth’ -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A new face for money -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass hopes to carry momentum into weekend series against VCU -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass Theatre Guild to present “Seussical” this weekend -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UMass eyes the future of its athletics with the hiring of Athletic Director Ryan Bamford -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Derrick Gordon to transfer from UMass in search of more prominent role -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Local author and activist Don Ogden writes to make environmental change -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chiarelli: Football the center of attention Tuesday at Bamford’s hiring -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Minutemen face Richmond in second round

This is uncharted territory.

For the first time since 2002, the Massachusetts men’s basketball team is playing a second game in the Atlantic 10 tournament tonight when it takes on third-seeded Richmond in Atlantic City.

After the No. 11-seeded Minutemen (12-19) upset sixth-seeded Charlotte Tuesday night, it punched its ticket to Atlantic City and an opportunity to compete for the conference’s automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Richmond (24-7), which already appears to have a spot in the NCAA tournament locked up, had a bye in the first round of the A-10 tournament. UMass travelled to Richmond on Jan. 13 and after forcing overtime, fell to the Spiders, 70-63. Prior to the loss, the Minutemen had won three in a row in the series with Richmond.

The Spiders are led by a trio of scorers who all average double-digit points per game. Kevin Anderson leads the way with 17.8 points per game, followed by David Gonzalvez (14.3 ppg) and Justin Harper (10.7 points ppg). Anderson also leads the team with 7.54 assists per game and plays nearly every minute (36.7 minutes per game) for Richmond.

Defense is emphasized on the Spiders team as they allow 61.4 ppg and are strong defending against 3-point shots, allowing just over 29 percent on the season. All around, opponents have struggled hitting shots against Richmond, netting 39 percent of shots compared to the Spiders’ 44.6 percent.

The Minutemen will rely on senior Ricky Harris who has carried the team to their past two victories over Rhode Island and Charlotte with an average of 26 ppg. In the last 10 games, Harris has averaged 23.7 ppg.

UMass will also rely on its defense just as it did against the 49ers. Despite the Minutemen shooting only 32.1 percent from the field in the game, Charlotte was held to 37.1 percent. A number of key defensive stops down the stretch by the Minutemen gave them an opportunity to pull out the victory.

With its first streak of A-10 tournament wins on the line, UMass looks to advance to the semifinals, where it would face the winner of tonight’s game between second-seeded Xavier and seven-seeded Dayton.

The Minutemen lost to both Dayton, 96-68, and Xavier, 87-79, earlier this season.

No. 11-seeded UMass holds the lowest seed it has ever had in the A-10 tournament, a tournament in which the Minutemen possess a 30-28 record in. The 30 wins are second to only Temple, which has gone 49-19 in A-10 tournament games since the tournament began in 1977.

The Minutemen held the No. 3 seed back in 2008, earning a first-round bye, but were knocked out when Charlotte upset them, 69-65, in the quarterfinals. The loss was the sixth time in a row UMass had fallen in its first game of the tournament, and after last season’s 69-65 loss to Duquesne, the streak was extended to seven years.

Jeffrey R. Larnard can be reached at jlarnard@dailycollegian.com.