‘Second Chants’ better on second listen

Sore Eros just released their brand new album “Second Chants.” Full of quirky, deep melodies, their sound mimics the Postal Service meets Minus the Bear. “Second Chants” is just that; a mixture of dream-like ballads and flowing words streamed together with light guitars, barely-there drum beats, a clearly audible synthesizer, and effortlessly cool vocals by singer Robert Robinson. A simple string of melodies and choruses, hooks and rhymes, the songs string together to form one continuous piece, rather than breaking, to really introduce the idea of a new song.  Any listeners who enjoy a slight blend of emo-indie music will be sure to enjoy the sleepy, trance-like quality “Second Chants” provides.

In particular, the song “The Dream Self” is a harmony of the synth and the guitar, combined with Robinson’s simple humming. The song, lyricless and tired, would be the perfect song to listen to while falling asleep or meditating. In contrast, the next track, “Below It Begins,” is a weird jumble of beats from the same synth and a steady, yet strange drumbeat.

Different than the sleepy trance of “The Dream Self” is one that makes the listener question the band’s intentions. “Over and Over,” a strictly acoustic, slow tune, reminds listeners of early bootleg Bob Dylan songs; the only things the audience picks up on is Robinson’s haunting voice mixed with Adam Langellotti’s performance on the guitar.

During the first listen, the album sounds like a simple hippie, slightly more updated version of a 70s album, kind of dull. On second and preferred listen, the complexity of Robinson’s voice merging with the backbeats is actually pretty good. Though the listener gets an eerie, dreamlike feel when hearing the album’s various sounds, it is full of mystery and hidden eccentricities. While sometimes inaudible or misunderstood, the lyrics are overlooked as minimal, but during a close listen they are very deep. The song titles don’t give any indication of what the song is about, but provide for even more mystery than the album already comes with.

Overall, “Second Chants” is a deep, dreamy, different album; a sound not like that of the mass-produced, but a sound that listeners are sure to enjoy.

Ashley Berger can be reached at [email protected].