UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

UMass falls to Richmond in A-10 Quarterfinals

The Atlantic 10 tournament has not been kind to Ricky Harris and the Massachusetts men’s basketball team. In a year when the Minutemen least expected it, they won their first A-10 tournament game in eight years against Charlotte, but couldn’t continue their rally against Richmond, who finished as the weekend’s runner-up.

UMass (12-20, 5-11 A-10) battled back from a 17-point deficit, but couldn’t pull ahead in its 77-72 loss to the Spiders.

“We played an NCAA team on a neutral court that’s [26-8] and they shot lights out tonight, especially in the first half,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said following the loss. “That was one of my biggest worries.”

Guard Anthony Gurley did everything he could offensively to extend Harris’s senior with 24 points on 8-of-11 shooting and seven rebounds, but the Minutemen never cut the lead below three points.

Harris finished his last game at UMass with 19 points and became the third all-time leading scorer in school history. But Richmond’s 55 percent 3-point shooting proved too much for UMass to handle. The Spiders (26-8, 13-3 A-10) used 9-for-13 shooting from beyond the arc to take a 38-21 lead into the half.

“They got a lot of good looks and converted on all of them, took advantage early and put us in a bit of a hole,” Harris said of their first half shooting. “When you’re playing a team like that, you have got to take advantage of each possession and each defensive stop and each defensive opportunity.”

Although the first half took UMass out of the game, the second half went much differently.

The Minutemen scored 51 second-half points with Gurley and Harris combining for 34 of them. Gurley first cracked Richmond’s double-digit deficit with a 3-pointer to cut the lead to 46-28 with 10 minutes, 53 seconds left to play.

The Spiders eventually undid UMass’ efforts and regained a 17-point lead with 6:53 to play. The Minutemen stormed back with a 12-3 run to once again cut the lead to eight.

With a six-point lead and seven seconds left in the game, Kevin Anderson fouled Harris on a 3-point attempt. The senior made all three shots to put UMass down three points.

However, the Minutemen couldn’t get the ball back as Kevin Smith converted on a pass by Ryan Butler with a dunk to put the game out of reach.

Although UMass won back-to-back games to earn a spot in the quarterfinals, Harris was still upset with his leadership during the postseason in his four years as a collegiate basketball player.

“I’ve been here four years and I’ve only won one postseason game in the Atlantic 10 conference,” Harris said. “I can’t really be happy about that because this is UMass basketball and we’re known for winning games. This is what we do here, and I just can’t accept that right now.”

Kellogg praised his senior leader after the game and said he would be willing to help him in whatever capacity he needed. He also believes that Harris will be good enough to play some type of professional basketball and be successful.

With a team as young as the Minutemen, Kellogg believes this summer will be important for his team as it now has the experience of playing against A-10 opponents. One of the areas he believes his team needs to improve on the most is its strength.

“If you look at our team when we stand next to the other teams we play since they are a little bit older and more mature, we always look, I’d say, longer and skinnier and not totally developed,” Kellogg said.

He hopes that the process of maturing along with spending time in the weight room as part of an NCAA team will help change that for next season.

Adam Miler can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.