Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Spring break road trip ends in a win for the Minutewomen

Collegian file photo

The Massachusetts tennis team spent its spring break on a road trip through South Carolina, going 1-2 against three schools from the area. UMass lost to Charleston Southern and the College of Charleston, but ended on a high note with a victory over Presbyterian.

The 6-1 victory snapped a five-match losing streak for the Minutewomen and improved their record to 8-6 on the season. Five of the six losses have been to ranked opponents.

UMass earned its first point by sweeping the three doubles matches. Candynce Boney and Maude Lecluyse defeated Heather Heusel and Paige Oelke, 8-6, at No. 1 doubles, while Julia Comas and Tanisha Hodgson beat Olivia McMillan and Virginia Waldron, 8-3, at No. 2. Jocelyn Providence and Kaitlyn Carpenter finished up by defeating Megan Davis and Lindsey Krause, 8-5.

In singles play, Comas had her first victory at No. 1 singles this season as she knocked off Heusel, 6-4, 6-3. Other notable UMass victories include Boney’s 6-0, 6-0 blanking of Olivia McMillan at No. 2 singles and Providence’s 5-7, 6-4, 10-8 triumph over Cara Caruso at No. 6 singles.

Presbyterian fell to 2-9 on the season with the loss, although it now stands at 3-9. They earned their first conference victory of the season on Friday when they defeated Liberty, 4-3.

The Minutewomen began their trip with a valiant effort against Charleston Southern, but ultimately fell 5-2. The victories for UMass came from Boney, who knocked off Brooke Pletcher, 3-6, 6-3, 10-7, and Providence, who beat Susita Das, 6-3, 6-4. Lecluyse took her match against Marija Dzakovic into a climatic tiebreaker, but lost 6-7 (3-7), 6-0, 10-4 in the end.

The Buccaneers entered the contest 6-0 in dual match play, with victories over No. 66-ranked UNC-Greensboro, UNC Asheville, and Liberty to their credit. They also sport a perfect 3-0 mark in league play.

With the win, the Buccaneers moved into the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Poll for the first time this year at No. 65.

Next, the Minutewomen traveled to the College of Charleston. UMass lost 6-0 in a rain-shortened event that saw the teams only play the singles matches because of the inclement conditions. The brightest spot for the Minutewomen was Lecluyse, who took her match to a tiebreaker for the second straight time. However, Lauren Borza ultimately triumphed 4-6, 6-0, 10-5. No other UMass player took their match to three sets.

With the win, the College of Charleston raised its record to 11-8. The victory was the Cougars’ fourth sweep of the year, with the others coming against conference opponent Western Carolina as well as non-conference opponents Case Western and Charlotte. They are now ranked at No. 58 in the country and have a perfect 4-0 record in the Southern Conference.

The Minutewomen will return to action Saturday as they hit the road to play the New Jersey Institute of Technology at 10 a.m.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.