SGA outlines plan to involve students in proposed IT fee process -

Thursday, May 28, 2015

UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Minutemen edge out victory over Brown

Going into the 2010 season, the Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team wondered who would step up and account for the losses of Tim Balise and Jim Connelly on the offensive side of the ball.

Sophomore attackman Art Kell did just that on a rainy Tuesday afternoon, contributing two goals and three assists, as the No. 18 Minutemen (5-2) defeated No. 15 Brown for the first time since the 2006 season, 11-10.

Kell leads the team in goals (20), assists (14) and points (34), and was one of four two-goal scorers, which include sophomore midfielders Anthony Biscardi and Steve D’Amario along with freshman attackman Will Manny. Senior midfielder Bobby Hayes, junior attackman Ryan Liebel and senior midfielder Christian Hain also added a goal for the Minutemen.

“Well, we lost two one-goal games so, winning means a lot for their confidence, believing in themselves that they have the ability to win those games,” UMass coach Greg Cannella said.

The Minutemen fell to fellow Ivy League opponents No. 16 Harvard and No. 20 Yale by one-goal margins earlier this season.

The loss snaps Brown’s three-game winning streak, as it falls to 3-2.

Goalkeeper Tim McCormack had his best performance as a member of the Minutemen, registering a career-high 17 saves, including 10 in the second half.

“Brown is a great team off the ground, and you need that kind of performance out of Tim McCormack if you want to beat a top ranked team like we did today,” Cannella said.

While the offense was impressive, the defensive unit played a complete game, as junior defensive midfielder Stephen Zorkers led the team with six groundballs, and sophomore defenseman Tom Celentani caused four turnovers and secured five groundballs.

“The [defense] backed me up all game, and it was a good win all over,” McCormack said. “There was great communication from the middies to the close [defensive] guys to the polls, we got our slides down, and it was just a very fluent game.”

Hayes sparked the final run for the Minutemen, tying the game at nine with just over six minutes to go in the game.

Hain put UMass up 10-9 with just over four minutes to go in the game, as Kell put the game away with one minute to go in regulation.

UMass scored the last three goals after both teams traded scoring runs throughout the game, as the Bears took two one-goal leads on two of its three-goal spurts, but the Minutemen answered back.

The Bears were led by Andrew Feinberg (four goals), Thomas Muldoon (two), and David Hawley (two).

Goalkeeper Matt Chriss had 12 saves in the loss for Brown.

The Bears’ extra-man offensive unit could not capitalize on their opportunities, as freshman Ryan Hollenbaugh, sophomores Alex Reinhard and Brett Newgaard held the Bears to one extra-man goal.

UMass went 1-of-3 in extra-man opportunities on the day.

It also won 15 of its first 17 draws, with sophomores Greg Rushing and Anthony Toresco winning 11-of-16 and 5-of-8 face-offs, respectively.

The Minutemen open their first CAA regular season schedule when they host No.6 Hofstra at Garber Field Saturday at 1 p.m.

David Brinch can be reached at dbrinch@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.