UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Stone willing to be patient with pitching

When you give up as many runs as the Massachusetts baseball team has in its first nine games, it’s hard to beat anyone, let alone some of the top competition in the country.

UMass has given up nearly 10 runs per game over its first nine contests including a season-high 20 against Oklahoma State in its third game of the season and 17 against William & Mary on Sunday.

To their defense, the Minutemen (0-9) have faced experienced teams with high winning percentages. UMass saw its first real action this week, playing against teams that had been competing since last month. Oklahoma State had a 4-2 record before hosting the Minutemen, No. 13 Oklahoma was 15-2 and William & Mary was 10-6, playing its ninth different team since it began its season exactly one month prior to Saturday’s season opener.

“It’s kind of like spring training for us,” UMass coach Mike Stone said. “It’s just a matter of comfortable with game experience and getting used to it. Hopefully they will improve with every outing.”

UMass has been up once this season going into the sixth inning and even then, it relinquished the lead by the next frame.

The Minutemen’s pitching goes into Wednesday’s game against Hartford with a 10.12 earned run average. Their starting pitching has accounted for eight of their nine losses and only twice have they lasted six or more innings. In total, the starters have lasted less than half of the innings pitched this season (40.1/81). Overall, the staff allows a .366 opponent batting average and has mustered 56 strikeouts as compared to 36 walks.

The UMass coaching staff has had some pitchers warrant their attention during the young season, but a starting rotation has not been set in stone.

Mike Gedman has been one of those bright spots for the Minutemen. In three appearances, Gedman (0-2) has a 5.52 ERA and thrown nine strikeouts in 14.2 innings pitched. Although his numbers are not startling, he pitched a complete game against Oklahoma in which he scattered four runs over eight innings to give his team a chance to win. However, UMass didn’t score more than two runs and Gedman incurred the loss.

In their nine games this season, the Minutemen got on the scoreboard first in two of those games and has scored a combined total of five runs over the first four innings, not including Sunday’s contest against William & Mary.

Their last time out, the Minutemen accrued an 8-1 lead on a huge third inning only to be outscored 8-0 in the next four.

Stone believes his team could have turned more double plays over its road trip (four), but his team still carries the glove well with a .980 fielding percentage and six errors, and that alone couldn’t account for the lopsidedness.

Stone and his players will have to address that issue and they hope to cure their scoring woes by tomorrow’s home opener against Hartford.

The Hawks have not been shy in the batter’s box this season registering about seven runs per game on over 11 hits per game.

Oakley (0-1) will take the mound for his second start of the season. Oakley lasted three innings against Oklahoma State, giving up nine runs (seven earned) on nine hits, recording two strikeouts and one walk.

“He pitched okay the last time and we have confidence in him,” Stone said.

Dan Gigliotti can be reached at dgigliot@student.umass.edu.