Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Stone willing to be patient with pitching

When you give up as many runs as the Massachusetts baseball team has in its first nine games, it’s hard to beat anyone, let alone some of the top competition in the country.

UMass has given up nearly 10 runs per game over its first nine contests including a season-high 20 against Oklahoma State in its third game of the season and 17 against William & Mary on Sunday.

To their defense, the Minutemen (0-9) have faced experienced teams with high winning percentages. UMass saw its first real action this week, playing against teams that had been competing since last month. Oklahoma State had a 4-2 record before hosting the Minutemen, No. 13 Oklahoma was 15-2 and William & Mary was 10-6, playing its ninth different team since it began its season exactly one month prior to Saturday’s season opener.

“It’s kind of like spring training for us,” UMass coach Mike Stone said. “It’s just a matter of comfortable with game experience and getting used to it. Hopefully they will improve with every outing.”

UMass has been up once this season going into the sixth inning and even then, it relinquished the lead by the next frame.

The Minutemen’s pitching goes into Wednesday’s game against Hartford with a 10.12 earned run average. Their starting pitching has accounted for eight of their nine losses and only twice have they lasted six or more innings. In total, the starters have lasted less than half of the innings pitched this season (40.1/81). Overall, the staff allows a .366 opponent batting average and has mustered 56 strikeouts as compared to 36 walks.

The UMass coaching staff has had some pitchers warrant their attention during the young season, but a starting rotation has not been set in stone.

Mike Gedman has been one of those bright spots for the Minutemen. In three appearances, Gedman (0-2) has a 5.52 ERA and thrown nine strikeouts in 14.2 innings pitched. Although his numbers are not startling, he pitched a complete game against Oklahoma in which he scattered four runs over eight innings to give his team a chance to win. However, UMass didn’t score more than two runs and Gedman incurred the loss.

In their nine games this season, the Minutemen got on the scoreboard first in two of those games and has scored a combined total of five runs over the first four innings, not including Sunday’s contest against William & Mary.

Their last time out, the Minutemen accrued an 8-1 lead on a huge third inning only to be outscored 8-0 in the next four.

Stone believes his team could have turned more double plays over its road trip (four), but his team still carries the glove well with a .980 fielding percentage and six errors, and that alone couldn’t account for the lopsidedness.

Stone and his players will have to address that issue and they hope to cure their scoring woes by tomorrow’s home opener against Hartford.

The Hawks have not been shy in the batter’s box this season registering about seven runs per game on over 11 hits per game.

Oakley (0-1) will take the mound for his second start of the season. Oakley lasted three innings against Oklahoma State, giving up nine runs (seven earned) on nine hits, recording two strikeouts and one walk.

“He pitched okay the last time and we have confidence in him,” Stone said.

Dan Gigliotti can be reached at dgigliot@student.umass.edu.