UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

UMass holds pro day as scouts gather to see Ducasse

It’s not often that a Division I-AA school gathers much attention during a Pro Day. Then again, most Division I-AA schools don’t have players projected to be picked in the first two rounds of the National Football League Draft.

Several NFL scouts were in attendance to watch offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse perform at the Massachusetts football team’s Pro Day at McGuirk Alumni Stadium. It was the second school in the entire state to hold an event for potential draft picks and free agents (Boston College was the other).

This year’s Pro Day was the highest attended in Amherst in the past 10 years, with scouts from almost every team in attendance.

The day also featured 12 other players who were a mix of 2009 Minutemen and alums that are looking for invites into rookie camp. Around 20 NFL hopefuls from the surrounding schools in Massachusetts participated in the drills as well, who were looking to use the attention Ducasse brought in to make their own case for a team.

Other current players in attendance included safety Jeromy Miles, fullback Chris Zardas, tailback Tony Nelson, wide receivers Victor Cruz, Jeremy Horne and Joe Sanford in addition to defensive linemen Brandon Collier, Michael Hanson and Kyle Harrington.

Recent UMass graduates, Sean Smalls, Ben Coblyn, Ian Jorgensen, R. J. Cobbs and Courtney Robinson were also in attendance as well as Holy Cross quarterback Dominic Randolph. Robinson signed with the Philadelphia as a free agent after last year’s draft before being released by the team in early August.

Although Ducasse knew that most of the clubs came to see him, he believes his teammates deserve a chance to make an NFL roster as well.

“All those guys were good throughout the whole season,” Ducasse said. “We had scouts looking at film on them the whole season, so it’s like a group thing. It’s not only one person.”

Despite the buzz surrounding his chances of making the NFL, Ducasse describes the process as fun, even with all of the poking and prodding he has dealt with the past few months.

“That’s pretty much my job now so I’ve gotten used to it,” he said about having to go through several measurements and physical tests.

Part of the reason for the Haitian native’s calm demeanor throughout the process is the preparation he had developing as a football player. When he was in high school, he had to go through similar tests in order to get interest from different colleges.

Former UMass coach Don Brown and current coach Kevin Morris have been holding Junior Pro Days for the younger players, which simulates NFL workouts in order to familiarize themselves with a pre-draft workout regimen.

Another reason for his relaxed approach to workouts is the fact that the question isn’t if he’ll be drafted, but by whom and where he will go. Those questions cause him more excitement than nervousness.

“You have to be excited,” Ducasse said. “You can’t be nervous because it’s a long process so you have to take it as it comes… I’m happy just to be in a situation like [mine].”

He also felt the most comfortable at McGuirk since he got to workout where he’s used to playing football. While he didn’t think that made too much of a difference compared to other workouts, wide receiver Jeremy Horne said he was much more relaxed playing in Amherst than he was during Pro Day at Boston College.

The 2010 NFL Draft will take place from April 22-24.

Adam Miller can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.