Students react to new fence around Townehouses -

‘Do You Have The Right To Do Drugs?’ debate held in Bowker Auditorium -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to build on three-game winning streak against Brown -

UMass softball riding five-game win streak into first Atlantic 10 showdown -

Sanzo: Inability to win close games has hurt UMass baseball -

Hannah Murphy scores 100th career goal in UMass women’s lacrosse 16-9 win over Harvard -

Old age does no harm to indie rock legends The Feelies -

A track-by-track breakdown of Drake’s new project -

When a president lies -

Let them eat steak, and other gender norms I hate -

Dissecting Science: Episode Two -

Holy Cross 10-run eighth inning sinks UMass baseball -

UMass students react to Spring Concert lineup -

Letter: Vote yes for Amherst -

You don’t have to walk alone -

Tyler Bogart and D.J. Smith lead UMass men’s lacrosse during three game win streak -

UMass women’s lacrosse emphasizes defense in approaching games as its key to gaining momentum for conference play -

Not much is new in ‘Beauty and the Beast,’ though it might not be a bad thing -

‘Get Out’ is a satirical horror for the post-Obama generation -

UPC releases spring concert lineup -

Rumor confirmed: Ludacris to headline Spring Concert

(Courtesy ludacris.net)

The rumors are confirmed and it’s no April Fool’s joke: Ludacris will be headlining the Spring Concert 2010 hosted by the University Programming Council. Those who weren’t able to dish out the money to see Jay-Z will now have an opportunity to see one of the most successful rap artists of our generation right here at the Mullins Center on April 25.

Ludacris

As much of the campus has been talking about for quite some time now, the Grammy Award winning rapper will be the main act of this year’s big show. Before he comes to our very own arena, Luda will be making stops along the West Coast in San Jose, Calif., Sacremento, Calif., Tacoma, Wash., and Vancouver, BC. In a recent concert in Philadelphia, he played most of his hits including “Stand Up,” “Move Bitch,” and “What’s Your Fantasy” as well as his latest hit, “How Low,” according to Setlist.fm. His latest album “Battle of the Sexes,” released on March 9, topped the Billboard Top 200 in it’s first week and is currently third behind Lady Antebellum’s “Need You Now” and Marvin Sapp’s “Here I Am.”

New Found Glory

After becoming obsolete for what seemed like decades, the emo rockers will bring their Not Without a Fight and Self Titled Anniversary Tour to Amherst alongside Luda. New Found Glory, known mainly for their hits “All Downhill From Here” and “Catalyst,” released their latest album “Not Without a Fight” on March 10. While their music is not nearly as popular as it used to be, guitarist Chad Gilbert has been in the news for his open relationship with Hayley Williams from Paramore – last year’s main rock act for the Spring Concert.

LMFAO and the Electrolightz

Electronic rockers LMFAO and the Electrolightz will be the opening acts for the concert. The duo LMFAO has been rather popular of late for their hit song “Shots,” in which they collaborated with rapper Lil’ Jon. Electrolightz have recently been touring alongside the pair and will bring a similar style of music to the inevitably lively crowd.

Battle of the Band winner – C-Banga

Arena funk rapper C-Banga won the 2010 Battle of the Bands and the opening slot at the Spring Concert. Backed by Malado, the band who were also a part of last year’s champions, C-Banga impressed the crowd and judges with their danceable jams and some 80s inspired synthesized beats. Skasome Society had a strong showing, but were edged out by the rap group. After they were announced as the victor, C-Banga said, “Thank you so much, UMass, Luda here we come!”

Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. today, April 1, at the Mullins Center Box Office. UMass students must provide a valid UMass ID to receive their free ticket. The concert is $15 for Five College students and $35 for the general public. The show is on April 25 at the Mullins Center. Doors open at 5 p.m.

Justin Gagnon can be reached at jgagnon@dailycollegian.com

2 Responses to “Rumor confirmed: Ludacris to headline Spring Concert”
  1. Gee Skillet says:

Correcrtion C-Banga and The Bang Boyz

2. Will Blaszwicz says:

I didn’t go to the Battle but all I needed to see on the facebook page was that Malado would be playing, so I figured UPC had already crowned them as the winners