Consistency leading to wins

In order for any team to be successful, it must get consistent play from all of its players out on the field.

That is just what the Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team has done so far this season, getting steady showings from it’s defensive midfield.

The No. 9 Minutemen take on Penn State on Saturday in their second ever Colonial Athletic Association game riding a two-game winning streak, thanks in part to players not usually scoring all the goals.

While UMass is fourth in the NCAA in goals per game (13.8), many of those scores would not have happened if not for the hard work from the Minutemen’s defensive midfield unit.

Junior long-stick defensive midfielder Casey Rahn is third on the team in groundballs (23), as UMass’ top long-pole and face-off wing. In the victory against Hofstra, Rahn had five groundballs and two caused turnovers, propelling the Minutemen to an 11-9 victory.

Rahn’s play on the wing during faceoff’s has benefited Anthony Toresco and Greg Rushing, UMass’ primary face-off men.

Rushing is 13th in the NCAA, winning 59.3 percent of his draws, while Toresco won 7-of-11 faceoffs against Providence and 5-of-8 at Brown, both came during Minutemen victories.

Along with Rahn, junior Stephen Zorkers has been the team’s most consistent short-stick defenseman, is second on the team in groundballs (24) and has six caused turnovers, while covering some of the best offensive players in the nation. Rahn and Zorkers both play the wings on face-offs, and have helped the Minutemen gain key possessions so far this season.

“Certainly we spread the ball around on the offensive end, but you look at our defensive midfield, those guys really set the tone for us and create the opportunities in the clearing game and transition game,” UMass coach Greg Cannella said.

With Rahn and Zorkers, seniors Will Jeffery, Kevin Wright and freshman Bobby Tyler have helped in the transition game.

Jeffery has seven groundballs and five caused turnovers with an assist, while Wright has shown his versatility by playing on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball.

Wright played in all eight games and has four groundballs while Tyler has three groundballs and two caused turnovers.

The UMass defense is third in the NCAA for caused turnovers per game (11.3). Senior captain Diogo Godoi has 12 caused turnovers and 16 groundballs, good for second on the team.

Sophomore defenseman Tom Celentani leads the team in caused turnovers (21) along with 21 groundballs. His caused turnover average (2.63 per game) ranks him third in the NCAA.

Along with the defensive midfield, special teams have helped the Minutemen edge out other teams.

Junior defenseman Brett Newgaard and freshman Ryan Hollenbaugh have come off the bench and have helped the man-down defense.

Freshman attackman Kyle Smith has taken over the role as the man-up specialist, converting three goals and four assists, good for six points in extra-man opportunities.

“If you’re going to have a good team, you need contributions from a lot [of people],” UMass coach Greg Cannella said.

David Brinch can be reached at [email protected].