Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

UMass still in hunt for A-10 title

The Massachusetts rowing team will continue setting its pace for the Atlantic 10 title in Worcester, Mass. this Saturday against the likes of MIT, New Hampshire, Williams and Holy Cross.

The five team regatta will include the first Varsity 8, second Varsity 8, Varsity 4, first Novice 8, second Novice 8 and Novice 4 races.

The Minutewomen, coming off a strong second place finish in last weekend’s Yankee Cup, look to bounce back with skill and determination after a win on the Holy Cross Crusaders’ home water.

UMass coach Jim Dietz expects there to be strong surges from the Crusaders in their efforts to win at home as they look to establish themselves as true competitors in the division.  Dietz also sees Williams, who took the Division III title last year, to be tough opponents in an environment that allows for great speed.

“Worcester’s turf is a lake, and lakes tell a lot about speed,” Dietz said.

Without a strong river current to either help or hinder the boats’ progress, this weekend’s regatta will show just the kind of speeds that each crew is capable of reaching out of sheer ability.

Dietz is expecting his boats to show great ability, both in terms of power and teamwork, as a result of their intense training regiment. The Connecticut River, which the Minutewomen train on, flows at 80,000 cubic feet per second, a speed that some schools have never even experienced before. This speed builds a rower’s strength and reflexes to a higher level, which is a key attribute in helping UMass capture 13 A-10 titles in the past 14 years.

Another advantage that the boats have to enjoy this weekend is a stretch of warm weather and clear skies. The good weather not only helps the boats to glide more fluidly, but also helps to increase the morale of the rowers.

“Everyone gets that extra little bit of energy in their strides once they feel that the weather is warming up and the sun stays out longer,” Dietz said.

All these factors add up to make a sport where luck has very little impact on the results.  There is no wind gust to push a fly ball over the fence or an angled stick to cause a slap shot to redirect and find the back of the net. The outcome of a regatta depends heavily on intense practices, careful planning, strong teamwork and an ability to race your own boat from within, something Dietz feels his crew is highly capable of.

“As a whole, these girls are highly intelligent and very calculating to the point where they can win on many different levels,” Dietz said.

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.