Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

UMass still in hunt for A-10 title

The Massachusetts rowing team will continue setting its pace for the Atlantic 10 title in Worcester, Mass. this Saturday against the likes of MIT, New Hampshire, Williams and Holy Cross.

The five team regatta will include the first Varsity 8, second Varsity 8, Varsity 4, first Novice 8, second Novice 8 and Novice 4 races.

The Minutewomen, coming off a strong second place finish in last weekend’s Yankee Cup, look to bounce back with skill and determination after a win on the Holy Cross Crusaders’ home water.

UMass coach Jim Dietz expects there to be strong surges from the Crusaders in their efforts to win at home as they look to establish themselves as true competitors in the division.  Dietz also sees Williams, who took the Division III title last year, to be tough opponents in an environment that allows for great speed.

“Worcester’s turf is a lake, and lakes tell a lot about speed,” Dietz said.

Without a strong river current to either help or hinder the boats’ progress, this weekend’s regatta will show just the kind of speeds that each crew is capable of reaching out of sheer ability.

Dietz is expecting his boats to show great ability, both in terms of power and teamwork, as a result of their intense training regiment. The Connecticut River, which the Minutewomen train on, flows at 80,000 cubic feet per second, a speed that some schools have never even experienced before. This speed builds a rower’s strength and reflexes to a higher level, which is a key attribute in helping UMass capture 13 A-10 titles in the past 14 years.

Another advantage that the boats have to enjoy this weekend is a stretch of warm weather and clear skies. The good weather not only helps the boats to glide more fluidly, but also helps to increase the morale of the rowers.

“Everyone gets that extra little bit of energy in their strides once they feel that the weather is warming up and the sun stays out longer,” Dietz said.

All these factors add up to make a sport where luck has very little impact on the results.  There is no wind gust to push a fly ball over the fence or an angled stick to cause a slap shot to redirect and find the back of the net. The outcome of a regatta depends heavily on intense practices, careful planning, strong teamwork and an ability to race your own boat from within, something Dietz feels his crew is highly capable of.

“As a whole, these girls are highly intelligent and very calculating to the point where they can win on many different levels,” Dietz said.

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.