Micheletto apologizes to fans, aims to regroup following 11-1 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Vermont throttles UMass hockey 11-1 -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass guard Trey Davis: ‘There’s a lot coming at me right now’ -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass ‘big four’ neutralized by Notre Dame in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass basketball can’t corral Grant, Irish in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Frustration haunts Minutemen in 5-3 loss to Boston College -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey drops 5-3 decision to No. 12 Boston College Friday night -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey prepares for nationally ranked Hockey East foes BC, Vermont -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Food scientist proposes way to improve health via breast milk -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons shine in ‘Whiplash’ -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Masculinity: A feminist’s perspective -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball uses size and speed en route to its first win against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why Melissa McBride is the best actor on television -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Patriots, Browns, and Seahawks highlight week 12 picks -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball secures first victory of the season against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Revisiting ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy as the final installment looms -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Establishing the rules of classroom attendance -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass hockey’s Troy Power reflects as his 100th career game approaches -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sophomore swimmer Meriza Werenski excelling in increased role -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

SGA senator plans survey on bigotry -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

UMass sweeps La Salle in double-header

Led by a combined five home runs from Kyllie Magill, Meghan Carta and Carly Normandin, the Massachusetts softball team swept La Salle in a double-header in Philadelphia Thursday afternoon.

The Minutewomen (19-7, 4-0 Atlantic 10) came out with strong hitting and quick base running as they shut out the Explorers (7-13, 1-5 A-10) 10-0 in Game 2.

After walking to first and stealing second base, Sarah Reeves’s fielder’s choice brought Carly Normandin home to give UMass a quick 1-0 lead. Kyllie Magill slid home on a wild pitch and scored the Maroon and White’s second and final run of the first inning.

Meghan Carta hit a solo home run in the second inning to give make her the team leader with five on the season. UMass tacked on seven additional runs started by Carta’s two RBI singles to bring home Cyndil Matthew and Katie Bettencourt.

“I thought we did a better job getting ready to hit today, a little bit better than we did the previous weekend and we’ve certainly been working on it,” UMass coach Elaine Sortino said. “I think as the season goes on we’ll gradually see a little bit more of a transformation in hitting.”

Rookie of the Week Teea Rogers singled to drive in pinch-runner Jordan Storro, followed by Whitney Williams walking on to first to load the bases. Normandin stepped up to the plate and hit a grand slam to drive in four more runs and gave the Minutewomen a 10-0 lead. The grand slam was Normandin’s first home run of the season and the second of the year for the Maroon and White.

“It was great to see Carly Normandin get a hold of the ball today,” Sortino said “Obviously coming back from surgery it’s been hard on her . . . it was nice to see her get that grand slam.”

Plourde struck out eight batters in four innings pitched before Bailey Sanders took her place at the mound in the bottom of the fifth inning. After a bunt and a single from the Explorers put two runners on first and third base, Sanders struck out the final two batters to end the game and keep UMass perfect in the A-10.

Behind 14 strikeouts in six innings from Plourde and three homeruns, the Minutewomen defeated La Salle, 8-1, in Game 1 of the doubleheader.

A single from Jessica Serio put the Maroon and White up by one in the first inning. Normandin came through with another RBI single in the second inning, followed by Magill’s first home run of the day to drive in two additional runs and give UMass a 4-0 lead.

The third inning produced two more runs for the Minutewomen with Michelle Libby scoring on a wild pitch and a Whitney Williams sacrifice fly ball to bring Carta home. Magill’s second home run of the game came in the top of the sixth inning to put the Maroon and White up by seven runs.

The Explorers’ scored its lone run of the day in the bottom of the sixth inning, spurred by a hit batter and single from Gina Massaro. Mary Pat Conville followed shortly after with a single to center field to drive in Liz Reed.

The Minutewomen produced its eighth and final run of the game off of a Carta solo home run to left field in the top of the seventh inning. Sanders replaced Plourde in the bottom of the seventh inning, retiring three batters in a row and ensuring the win.

“It’s her third straight appearance, no walks and strikeouts on a minimal amount of pitches and just getting people out,” Sortino said of Sanders. “She’s doing a good job.”

Plourde was credited with the victory in each game, striking out 22 batters in 10 innings pitched and one hit allowed.

UMass looks to continue its four game win streak when it travels to New York to face Fordham, who is also undefeated in the A-10.

Geena Lombardi can be reached at glombard@student.umass.edu.