Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

Amherst store owner denies using Belichick’s daughter’s credit card

Amanda Belichick (Courtesy UMass)

Amanda Belichick (Courtesy UMass)

By Owen Boss and Scott Merzbach, The Daily Hampshire Gazette
Special to the Collegian

A local shopkeeper, charged with using Bill Belichick’s daughter’s credit card to buy more than a thousand dollars of merchandise at stores in Hadley, denied his involvement in court Tuesday.

Mohamed S. Nagooradumai, 39, of 42 Palley Village Place, who owns Amherst Grocery Store at 319 Main St., pleaded innocent in Eastern Hampshire District Court to charges of committing credit card fraud over $250 and receiving stolen property valued over $250.

In December, 25-year-old Amherst resident Amanda Belichick, an assistant coach for the University of Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team and daughter of New England Patriot’s head coach Bill Belichick, went to the local police station to report several unauthorized transactions had been taken from her Bank of America checking account.

The card, she said, had either been lost or stolen, according to police.

A police inquiry revealed that last year, during November and December, unauthorized charges were made on her card at Old Navy, Sears and Walmart in Hadley and at Nagooradumai’s grocery store, according to court documents. The largest transaction, made at Sears, was for a Kenmore washer and dryer set reportedly valued at $616.23.

After obtaining surveillance video from Sears, police identified Nagooradumai and his wife, Zuharia Mohamed, whom they recognized from past dealings, waiting in line just moments before the transaction was made, according to police.

On Tuesday at 11 a.m., police executed a search warrant obtained Monday in Eastern Hampshire District Court at Nagooradumai’s Palley Village Place home and seized a Kenmore washer and dryer set and a variety of clothing as evidence.

Lt. Ron Young, head of the police detective bureau, said the investigation is ongoing and the credit card used in the alleged thefts has not been recovered.

Young said additional charges may be filed against Nagooradumai as the investigation continues.

Judge Laurie MacLeod released Nagooradumai on his own recognizance and ordered him to return to court for a pretrial hearing on May 18.

Amanda Belichick was reach Wednesday but declined to comment. A call to the number listed for Nagooradumai’s residence was not answered Wednesday evening, and a voicemail left there was not immediately returned.

Belichick followed in her father’s academic footsteps attending the same high school and college. After graduating from Phillips Academy in Andover, Mass. in 2003, she earned a bachelor’s in 2007 from Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn. There, during her junior year, she became just the second player in Cardinals history to score over 50 points in a season as an attack before becoming a co-captain in her senior year at Wesleyan, according to the UMass Athletics website.

The Weston, Mass. native joined UMass as an assistant lacrosse coach at the beginning of the Minutewomen’s season after serving as head lacrosse coach at Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford, Conn., for two years, the site said.

Collegian staff writer Matt Rocheleau contributed to this report. He can be reached at mrochele@dailycollegian.com. Owen Boss and Scott Merzbach are Gazette staff writers. They can be reached at oboss@gazettenet.com and smerzbach@gazettenet.com.

2 Responses to “Amherst store owner denies using Belichick’s daughter’s credit card”
  1. The Detective in the Mirror says:

Why does it matter she’s Bill Belechicks daughter?

I forgot, only rich people get justice.

2. Wails Nimble says:

That’s a good point, the Collegian should write an article about every credit card theft in the county.

You must be logged in to post a comment.