SGA outlines plan to involve students in proposed IT fee process -

Thursday, May 28, 2015

UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Bullpen to blame in UMass losses

In a 15-11 slugfest, it was the bullpen of the Massachusetts baseball team which exposed their season-long struggles.

Three different relievers combined to surrender nine runs in just over three innings to give Connecticut the win on Wednesday afternoon.

The game started well enough for the Minutemen (2-16, 1-5 Atlantic 10), who jumped out to a 10-4 lead heading into the fifth inning.

Starting pitcher Isaac Oakley, to that point, had limited the high-powered Huskies offense to four runs over four innings of work. He began the fifth by allowing the first two hitters to reach base, triggering UMass coach Mike Stone to make a pitching change.

Stone handed the ball to sophomore Ben Hart, giving him a six-run lead to protect. Hart proceeded to allow a single and a triple to plate both inherited runners. The inning was capped off by a wild pitch, which allowed a third Huskies player to score, as UConn cut the deficit to 10-8.

After the Minutemen got a run back in the bottom of the inning, senior Bryan Leigh was given the next opportunity to maintain a lead. He pitched a scoreless sixth inning, giving reason to believe that the Minutemen were on their way to victory.

But then came the seventh inning.

Leigh tried for his second-straight effective inning. Instead, he was greeted with a leadoff single, a walk, and a three-run home run that tied the back-and-forth affair at 11-11. Before he could recover, the next batter took him deep to give the Huskies a 12-11 advantage.

Junior Charlie Benson did not fare much better.

He opened the eighth inning by relinquishing a home run, a double, and a two-run home run. After all the dust had settled, UConn led 15-11, having outscored UMass 11-1 in the final five innings of the game.

The final two relievers for the Huskies threw a combined four scoreless innings.

Leigh got the loss in a game that featured nine total home runs, five by Husky hitters.

“It was just a good hitting day, I guess,” Leigh said. “I didn’t make many pitches and that hurt us.”

Senior Jared Freni was the lone bright spot out of the bullpen, tossing the final 1.2 innings without allowing a run.

It would be easy to blame the 88-degree temperature as a reason why so many balls were jumping off the bats and leaving Earl Lorden Field. However, a mirror image occurred two days ago in Connecticut, when the UMass bullpen gave up three home runs en route to a 10-2 defeat.

“You have to give [UConn] credit,” Stone said. “They hit the ball hard. Yesterday they hit a bunch of home runs and the same thing [happened] today. [We have] some good [pitchers] out there and they’re trying hard. They just didn’t have too much success.”

In the short two-game series versus UConn, UMass relievers have yielded a total of 15 runs on 18 hits, including seven home runs.

“At this point, we’re being challenged,” Stone said. “We just need to hang in there and keep fighting.”

However, Stone knows it’s just a matter of getting on the mound with his pitchers and seeing batters.

“They need to get work, get the experience. Our guys will come around. Those guys are the guys we plan to have as relievers for the year, so we have to stick with them.”

Leigh knows that in order to get better, he cannot delve too much into the outing Wednesday.

“I have a pretty short memory, so I’ll pretty much forget it after I leave here,” Leigh said. “We just have to get back to practice tomorrow.”

Pete Vasquez can be reached at pvasquez@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.