Three new students appointed as SGA special assistants -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Allymohamed scores game winner after suffering facial injury against Boston University -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Loaded weekend against Marist, Keene State challenges UMass club hockey -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

UMass football seeing improvement on both the offensive and defensive lines -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Remembering Derek Jeter: an appraisal -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Yellowcard switches things up on “Lift a Sail” -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Campus Sustainability Day to take place Wednesday -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Woosley paces UMass tennis at the ITA Northeast Regionals -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sonny Landreth performs intense, brief set at the Iron Horse -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tinashe impresses on debut album, “Aquarius” -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Ebola coverage is misinforming -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Two counts of larceny occur over the weekend -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

UMass student charged in connection with alleged involvement in racist vandalisms -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass student found dead in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Jeffery sets Charlotte strikeout record

Charlotte ace Emily Jeffery set the school record for career strikeouts with 590 over the weekend. 

Jeffery passed former 49er Kristen Bowen on Saturday, striking out the fourth batter of the game to cement the record in her own name. She has 150 strikeouts this year, fourth most in a single season by a 49er. 

Jeffery already holds the school’s single-season strikeout record from last year, fanning 294 batters. During this year’s campaign, Jeffery has a 13-4 record, a 1.23 earned run average and seven shutouts on the season. 

Charlotte now holds a five-game winning streak, giving up a total of three runs combined during the stretch. During conference play, the 49ers have dominated every facet of every game, outscoring their opponents, 31-2.     

Fagan hits her way to POW

Another senior led her team to back-to-back victories as Temple’s Danielle Fagan brought home the Atlantic 10 Player of the Week award for her efforts at the plate against St. Bonaventure in a two-game series over the weekend. 

During the series, Fagan delivered for the Owls, going 4-for-5 at the dish, with three home runs and five runs batted in.  Fagan has put together an impressive senior campaign, hitting .313 while compiling four home runs, 21 RBIs and a .554 slugging percentage. 

The Owls seemed to find themselves offensively against the Bonnies with 16 runs over the series.         

Rams stun in A-10 play

Predicted to finish in the basement of the Atlantic 10 conference standings, Rhode Island put itself in a good situation with a 4-2 conference record.

The Rams drove in runners with 24 runs in four games while the pitching staff gave up six runs.

A key offensive piece to their success has been senior Melissa Wilson, who has racked up 10 of her 17 RBIs on the season in conference play, while also posting a staggering .750 slugging percentage. 

Sophomores lead the way

Saint Louis, who was predicted to finish in the top 5 of the conference, won its games with timely hitting by everyone in the lineup, but more significantly with their pitching and defense. 

The Billikens are 7-2 over their last nine games, shutting out their opponents in four of those seven wins. Sophomores Kelcie Matesa and Hannah Huebbe lead the team, both compiling earned run averages below 2.00, while racking up over 150 strikeouts, 14 complete games and a batting average against around .225. 

Parks delivers; takes home ROW

Saint Joseph’s Dana Parks came through for her team last week, delivering two hits in the second game of a double-header against SBU and secured her spot as the A-10 Rookie of the Week. 

Despite the losing record in conference play, Parks has become a leader for the Hawks, batting a team-high .333 while starting 19 games as a freshman. Sophomore Erin Gallagher currently has a 1.97 ERA, six complete games and 124 strikeouts in 117 innings of work. 

Games to look for

Conference play will continue later this week for all teams vying for spot in the tournament in early May. Teams such as Massachusetts and Fordham will host the next few games, looking to separate themselves from the rest of the conference pack. Other top teams like Charlotte and Saint Louis will travel on the road, looking to take down the perennial powerhouses that remain the cream of the crop.    

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at scournoy@student.umass.edu.