Active Minds strives to start conversation about mental health, end stigma -

Native American Student Association plans for powwow after travelling to Native Nations Rise March in Washington D.C. -

Black Student Union aims to be a strong voice for the African-American community on UMass’ campus -

UMass Students for Reproductive Justice continue fighting for student rights -

UMass notebook: Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry reportedly interviewed for a second time Monday for men’s basketball head coaching vacancy -

UMass softball anxiously awaits start of conference play with doubleheader against BU looming Thursday. -

UMass baseball gets its long-awaited homecoming Tuesday against Northeastern -

Have you popped your bubble? -

The atrophy of activism: a message for student protesters -

Josh Odam spreads succinct messages through Free Negro University clothing line -

Emmi Beuger’s day off – Interview with Kate Leddy -

Fourteen random ‘treat yourself’ items for $25 and under -

Student Activism Special Issue Preview Video -

Anthropology professor holds lecture on violence and policymaking -

Student Activism Special Issue 2017 -

Congressmen McGovern and Ellison discuss progressive politics under Trump administration on Saturday -

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year -

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do -

The UMass club that is un-beelievable -

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer -

No. 8 Pride struggling

After starting a hot, the Hofstra men’s lacrosse team had two consecutive loses that hurt it in the rankings, which include losses to Massachusetts and Drexel.

On Saturday, Hofstra faced a fired up Drexel team, which is on three-game winning streak. Junior Jamie Lincoln and freshman Adrian Sorichetti both contributed three goals for the Pride, but it wasn’t enough.

After being tied at seven at halftime, Hofstra gained momentum by scoring two quick goals by senior Dan Stein. But that still was no match for the Dragons.

Robert Church, who is an All-American attackman for Drexel, had five goals in the first half, and added two more goals in the second, including the one that put Drexel over Hofstra with 50 seconds left in the game. The Dragons defeated the No. 8 Pride, 13-11, which is their third win over a top 10 opponent this season.

Church, who now has 24 goals, in 10 games has been named the Colonial Athletic Association Player of the week as well as Rookie of the Week for the second time this season.

John Hopkins losing sight

The Blue Jays, a powerhouse in men’s lacrosse is on a four-game losing streak, with losses to North Carolina, Virginia, Syracuse and Hofstra.

Midfielder Michael Kimmell, who leads the team in scoring and assists didn’t score on Saturday against the Tar Heels. In fact, attack Kyle Wharton (three goals) led the team in scoring during the 11-7 loss to UNC. Junior Max Chautin also contributed with two goals while senior Steven Boyle had one.

Goalie Pierce Basett allowed 11 goals and had six saves. On the other hand the Tar Heels dominated, especially on the offensive end. UNC’s junior All-American Billy Bitter crushed JHU’s defense by contributing four goals.

The Blue Jays fall to 17th in the top 20 rankings, while the Tar heels move up to No, 2 right behind No. 1 UVA, with a 10-0 record.

UVA still perfect

Virginia continued its perfect record this season thanks to sophomore Chris Bocklett, who has 30 goals this season.

The Cavaliers have the NCAA’s top offense, averaging 14 goals per game while allowing seven from their opponents per game.

Chris Bocklett earned co-Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Week, alongside Tar Heel Billy Bitter. The Cavaliers have outshot their opponents, 451- 307, over the course of the season, and has allowed the least amount of points in a game.

Part of the defense’s success has to do with goalie Adam Ghitleman, who now is the best in the country with a save percentage of 53 percent and has more than 77 saves on the season. On Saturday, the No. 1 Cavaliers faced then-No. 4 Maryland. 

The Terrapins narrowly lost to UVA, 11-10. Maryland has two consecutive loses on the season, which now puts it back to No. 5.

Daniel Giardina can be reached at giardina@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “No. 8 Pride struggling”
  1. Nick says:

Just nitpicking here but regardless-
    1. Hofstra beat Army in between the UMASS and Drexel losses
    2. Stein only had one goal in the Drexel game, the second in the half was scored by Stephen Bentz