Suspect in custody after break-ins on Lincoln Avenue -

Thursday, August 28, 2014

UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

No. 8 Pride struggling

After starting a hot, the Hofstra men’s lacrosse team had two consecutive loses that hurt it in the rankings, which include losses to Massachusetts and Drexel.

On Saturday, Hofstra faced a fired up Drexel team, which is on three-game winning streak. Junior Jamie Lincoln and freshman Adrian Sorichetti both contributed three goals for the Pride, but it wasn’t enough.

After being tied at seven at halftime, Hofstra gained momentum by scoring two quick goals by senior Dan Stein. But that still was no match for the Dragons.

Robert Church, who is an All-American attackman for Drexel, had five goals in the first half, and added two more goals in the second, including the one that put Drexel over Hofstra with 50 seconds left in the game. The Dragons defeated the No. 8 Pride, 13-11, which is their third win over a top 10 opponent this season.

Church, who now has 24 goals, in 10 games has been named the Colonial Athletic Association Player of the week as well as Rookie of the Week for the second time this season.

John Hopkins losing sight

The Blue Jays, a powerhouse in men’s lacrosse is on a four-game losing streak, with losses to North Carolina, Virginia, Syracuse and Hofstra.

Midfielder Michael Kimmell, who leads the team in scoring and assists didn’t score on Saturday against the Tar Heels. In fact, attack Kyle Wharton (three goals) led the team in scoring during the 11-7 loss to UNC. Junior Max Chautin also contributed with two goals while senior Steven Boyle had one.

Goalie Pierce Basett allowed 11 goals and had six saves. On the other hand the Tar Heels dominated, especially on the offensive end. UNC’s junior All-American Billy Bitter crushed JHU’s defense by contributing four goals.

The Blue Jays fall to 17th in the top 20 rankings, while the Tar heels move up to No, 2 right behind No. 1 UVA, with a 10-0 record.

UVA still perfect

Virginia continued its perfect record this season thanks to sophomore Chris Bocklett, who has 30 goals this season.

The Cavaliers have the NCAA’s top offense, averaging 14 goals per game while allowing seven from their opponents per game.

Chris Bocklett earned co-Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Week, alongside Tar Heel Billy Bitter. The Cavaliers have outshot their opponents, 451- 307, over the course of the season, and has allowed the least amount of points in a game.

Part of the defense’s success has to do with goalie Adam Ghitleman, who now is the best in the country with a save percentage of 53 percent and has more than 77 saves on the season. On Saturday, the No. 1 Cavaliers faced then-No. 4 Maryland. 

The Terrapins narrowly lost to UVA, 11-10. Maryland has two consecutive loses on the season, which now puts it back to No. 5.

Daniel Giardina can be reached at giardina@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “No. 8 Pride struggling”
  1. Nick says:

Just nitpicking here but regardless-
    1. Hofstra beat Army in between the UMASS and Drexel losses
    2. Stein only had one goal in the Drexel game, the second in the half was scored by Stephen Bentz