Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Plourde’s 1-hitter, 20 strikeouts lift UMass over BC

If there’s anything Massachusetts softball coach Elaine Sortino can complain about regarding her ace Sara Plourde’s performance against Boston College, it’s the double at the bottom of the sixth inning that ruined her no-hitter.

But by any other barometer, Plourde still proved herself to be an elite pitcher, even if her performance didn’t impress Sortino or the sophomore who got the one-hitter in the first place.

“It’s funny because we both graded her pitching as a B-minus today,” Sortino said.

Plourde finished the game with 20 strikeouts and one walk in seven innings as the Minutewomen downed the Eagles, 6-0. She raised her strikeout total to 322, the fifth most in school history in a single season, and is 23 away from passing Brandice Balschmiter’s single-season record of 344.

Her 20 strikeouts broke the UMass record for strikeouts in a seven-inning game that Plourde shared with former pitcher Danielle Henderson (18), who did it three times.

UMass (22-7, 6-0 Atlantic 10) finished the game with three home runs by right fielder Katie Bettencourt, left fielder Michelle Libby and shortstop Whitney Williams. It also finished the game 13-for-31 as a team at the plate.

From the beginning, Sortino and Co., set the pace with its offense while Plourde kept the Eagles (9-18, 0-6 Atlantic Coast Conference) from being effective at the plate.

Outfielder Carly Normandin had a leadoff walk in the first inning and then advanced to second base on a bunt-single from Williams. The next play, both runners advanced on a hit-and-run play by second baseman Kylie Magill, who grounded out to third base.

With runners on second and third, right fielder Katie Bettencourt put the Minutewomen up 3-0 with her fourth home run of the season.

“I thought that [Williams] had a great bunt for a hit in the first inning that opened up the door for Bettencourt’s home run,” Sortino said.

Behind Plourde’s pitching, the Maroon and White didn’t really need any more insurance runs, but it got them anyway.

UMass struck again in the top of the fourth inning when Libby homered to left field, but a double by Williams was the only other player to reach base that inning.

During Libby’s next at-bat as the leadoff hitter in the top of the sixth inning, she singled up the middle. After senior Normandin flied out, Williams hit her first home run of the season to left-center field, and brought in Libby.

BC’s first hit didn’t come until the last out of the seventh inning when Renee Ramos doubled down the left field line. But other than spoiling Plourde’s no-hitter, her hit didn’t do any damage to the Minutewomen.

She struck out the last batter anyway.

Plourde’s only other blemish on the day came when she walked Alison Kooistra in the fifth inning.

UMass returns to Amherst for its home opener against Boston University today. The Minutewomen were supposed to start the season with a double-header against Dartmouth on March 30, but the games were rained out.

BU features America East All-Conference First team selection April Setterlund, who ranks first in the nation with a .595 batting average.

The Terriers (18-10, 3-0 America East) are on an eight-game winning streak and have shut-out Stony Brook two out of three games during the series sweep. The last time BU went on the road, it came out with a strong offensive performance defeating Harvard, 14-8.

Adam Miller can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.