UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Plourde’s 1-hitter, 20 strikeouts lift UMass over BC

If there’s anything Massachusetts softball coach Elaine Sortino can complain about regarding her ace Sara Plourde’s performance against Boston College, it’s the double at the bottom of the sixth inning that ruined her no-hitter.

But by any other barometer, Plourde still proved herself to be an elite pitcher, even if her performance didn’t impress Sortino or the sophomore who got the one-hitter in the first place.

“It’s funny because we both graded her pitching as a B-minus today,” Sortino said.

Plourde finished the game with 20 strikeouts and one walk in seven innings as the Minutewomen downed the Eagles, 6-0. She raised her strikeout total to 322, the fifth most in school history in a single season, and is 23 away from passing Brandice Balschmiter’s single-season record of 344.

Her 20 strikeouts broke the UMass record for strikeouts in a seven-inning game that Plourde shared with former pitcher Danielle Henderson (18), who did it three times.

UMass (22-7, 6-0 Atlantic 10) finished the game with three home runs by right fielder Katie Bettencourt, left fielder Michelle Libby and shortstop Whitney Williams. It also finished the game 13-for-31 as a team at the plate.

From the beginning, Sortino and Co., set the pace with its offense while Plourde kept the Eagles (9-18, 0-6 Atlantic Coast Conference) from being effective at the plate.

Outfielder Carly Normandin had a leadoff walk in the first inning and then advanced to second base on a bunt-single from Williams. The next play, both runners advanced on a hit-and-run play by second baseman Kylie Magill, who grounded out to third base.

With runners on second and third, right fielder Katie Bettencourt put the Minutewomen up 3-0 with her fourth home run of the season.

“I thought that [Williams] had a great bunt for a hit in the first inning that opened up the door for Bettencourt’s home run,” Sortino said.

Behind Plourde’s pitching, the Maroon and White didn’t really need any more insurance runs, but it got them anyway.

UMass struck again in the top of the fourth inning when Libby homered to left field, but a double by Williams was the only other player to reach base that inning.

During Libby’s next at-bat as the leadoff hitter in the top of the sixth inning, she singled up the middle. After senior Normandin flied out, Williams hit her first home run of the season to left-center field, and brought in Libby.

BC’s first hit didn’t come until the last out of the seventh inning when Renee Ramos doubled down the left field line. But other than spoiling Plourde’s no-hitter, her hit didn’t do any damage to the Minutewomen.

She struck out the last batter anyway.

Plourde’s only other blemish on the day came when she walked Alison Kooistra in the fifth inning.

UMass returns to Amherst for its home opener against Boston University today. The Minutewomen were supposed to start the season with a double-header against Dartmouth on March 30, but the games were rained out.

BU features America East All-Conference First team selection April Setterlund, who ranks first in the nation with a .595 batting average.

The Terriers (18-10, 3-0 America East) are on an eight-game winning streak and have shut-out Stony Brook two out of three games during the series sweep. The last time BU went on the road, it came out with a strong offensive performance defeating Harvard, 14-8.

Adam Miller can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.