Micheletto apologizes to fans, aims to regroup following 11-1 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Vermont throttles UMass hockey 11-1 -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass guard Trey Davis: ‘There’s a lot coming at me right now’ -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass ‘big four’ neutralized by Notre Dame in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass basketball can’t corral Grant, Irish in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Frustration haunts Minutemen in 5-3 loss to Boston College -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey drops 5-3 decision to No. 12 Boston College Friday night -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey prepares for nationally ranked Hockey East foes BC, Vermont -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Food scientist proposes way to improve health via breast milk -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons shine in ‘Whiplash’ -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Masculinity: A feminist’s perspective -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball uses size and speed en route to its first win against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why Melissa McBride is the best actor on television -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Patriots, Browns, and Seahawks highlight week 12 picks -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball secures first victory of the season against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Revisiting ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy as the final installment looms -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Establishing the rules of classroom attendance -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass hockey’s Troy Power reflects as his 100th career game approaches -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sophomore swimmer Meriza Werenski excelling in increased role -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

SGA senator plans survey on bigotry -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Defense key to victory

Since beginning conference play, the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team has followed the theory that the best offense is a good defense.

Prior to opening their Atlantic 10 schedule, the Minutewomen (6-6, 3-3 A-10) struggled on offense, failing to reach double-digits in goals in six consecutive games. However, in its last three contests against conference foes, the UMass defense has held its opponents to under 10 scores.

It was on display last weekend when it limited attack opportunities for Temple in a 16-7 win.

UMass coach Alexis Venechanos was pleased to see her team continue the strong play on its side of the field.

“It was great to see some our defenders chipping in, scoring some goals, and that’s important,” Venechanos said. “We’ve been talking about playing team defense the last few weeks so it was great to see that. Katie Florence back there was holding strong and made some key saves.”

While being ranked in the middle of the pack for offense in the A-10 with 10.5 goals per game, the Minutewomen are at the top of the conference on defense. UMass trails only La Salle in the A-10 in goals against average (9.67), making it the only other team allowing under double digits.

“We put in a new defense at the beginning of the season so we knew it would take some time to get used to it,” Venechanos said. “Working on the slide patterns, I think we’ve got them down pat, and now we’re just going out there and taking more chances. We’re playing together as a unit, we’ve been doing some matchups within that, and we’ve been able to adjust game to game.”

On the attack, Venechanos wants to see more passing and assisted goals from the Minutewomen. This season, UMass is tied with Saint Joseph’s for sixth in the conference in assists per game with three. The Hawks (2-10, 0-3 A-10), however, average three fewer goals per game than the Minutewomen.

En route to its 16-goal outburst against the Owls, UMass showed the passing that Venechanos has been looking for. The Minutewomen tied a season-high with eight assists, as seven different players scored goals. Jesse O’Donnell and Nina Sarcona each added three assists, while O’Donnell recorded six points on the day with a hat trick. The first occasion that UMass had as many assists was in an 18-8 victory over Connecticut in the third contest of the season.

“It was another complete team effort, and I was excited to see more assisted goals, and that’s going to be important in the upcoming games,” Venechanos said.

Rather than taking on defenders 1-on-1, the Minutewomen have made it a priority to distribute the ball. The game plan will be no different this weekend when UMass takes on Duquesne and St. Bonaventure.

“Were going to have a fast-paced passing attack and we’ll look more for openings that are not so much on the drive,” senior midfielder Merritt Cosgrove said. “We want more of a passing attack to get more assists.”

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.