Students check Facebook while peers wait

It is 1 p.m. on Monday afternoon in the Learning Commons in the W.E.B. Du Bois Library. Senior Rebecca Trudel is waiting patiently in line for her chance to use one of the public access computers. One thing she notices could be adding a problem to her plan is several of other students using said computers recreationally to access websites like Facebook and YouTube. 

“People are on these sites, and it’s annoying when you’re in line for printing,’ she said. “I try not to be one of those people, but lately I haven’t been waiting as long as I have before,” she added. 

At least six people were on Facebook and another three were on YouTube while Trudel was in line. Trudel isn’t alone in her frustration either. Every day, clusters of students utilize the library computers to finish up their work, and many of them end up waiting in line just for their chance, something that could possibly be avoided. 

“It does suck, but I definitely am guilty of going on Facebook on these computers,” said junior Kelley Schlehuber. “It’s nice to take a break when you’re working on an essay.”

Recently expanded over winter break, the Learning Commons space increased by 20 percent and added 150 seats. There are at least 56 OIT computers, which require a University log-on for access, and 36 public access stations, which are open to anyone and do not require a log on.

The activity of the computers is not monitored, allowing anyone to access any site they wish.

Tuesday morning at 10:45 a.m., a line of at least 13 students, constantly growing and changing, waited through the rush to print papers before their classes. All the while, at least eight people were on sites like Facebook and YouTube on the public access computers, and at least four on Facebook on the OIT computers.

The same time Wednesday morning, another 13 students were waiting for their chance. Meanwhile, at least five people were on the same sites on the public access computers and at least eight were on them on the OIT access.

Carol Will, Coordinator of the Learning Commons says that nothing can really be done to prevent students from accessing those sites.

“I understand the frustration of needing to get work done,” she said. “However, it is really not possible for us to truly determine what is actual ‘work’ or legitimate computer use,” she added.

Activity is not monitored because of a ethics code and confidentiality issue.

“Due to issues of confidentiality, staff do not concern themselves with what a library user is doing on the computers,” Will said. 

The library follows the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association. According to principle three of the ALA Code of Ethics, “We protect each library user’s right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to information sought or received and resources consulted, borrowed, acquired or transmitted.”  

Although the possibility of staff intervening with students to explain why such behavior can be annoying is unlikely, Will said efforts are being taken and will be taken to make an overall better experience for students who need computer access.

“It’s obvious that we do need more computers,” she said. “We try to make students aware of the other computer classrooms in the building [floors 7 and 16] as well as on campus.”

The classrooms on floors seven and 10 are closed at various times during the day for classes, but when class is not in session, students are free to utilize the computers however they wish.

There are also two quick-print stations in the library that allow students to print papers without going on the computers in the Learning Commons.

Some students feel there should be equal opportunity for all students using the library’s computers.

Senior Mike Krahm believes people should have free access to what they please.

“It’s not fair for me to criticize anyone else since it’s public access, and I should just be prepared to wait in line.”

“It still sucks, but I don’t think anything should be done about it,” he added.

Junior Jessenia Gonzalez agreed that anyone should be allowed to do what they want with the computers.

“Personally, I think if you’re waiting in line for the computers, it doesn’t matter what you use it for.”

Students cannot have any influence over what others are allowed to do on the computers, so knowing various other options exist may help students who are in a rush to print out a paper or finish up some work before their next class.

Trudel knows it’s a problem for her, but feels it comes down to the actions of other students.

“People on those sites realize that there is a line, but they just don’t care.”

Tim Jones can be reached at [email protected].