Video monitoring equipment installed throughout Amherst in preparation for ‘Blarney’ -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tournament time: UMass women’s basketball faces St. Bonaventure in A-10 opener -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bread & Butter brings local produce to Amherst’s breakfast scene -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

‘Blarney’ guest policy is too harsh and was announced too late -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Esho and Lalanne ready for one final show at Mullins Center -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: March 3, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass to host 9-Way Meet

The Massachusetts track and field teams will host the Nine-Way Meet this weekend in Amherst. UMass will be competing against Albany, Amherst, Holy Cross, Hartford, Trinity, Central Connecticut State University, Boston College, Williams and Yale.

Both the men’s and women’s teams began the season with third place finishes at the Connecticut Invitational. Each squad will have some tough competition this weekend. Alex Leuchanka, a freshman of Albany won the 10,000-meter run last weekend at the Duke Invitational and won American East conference track honors as did Laura Cummings of Albany, who placed first in the women’s 3,000 meter steeplechase.

BC and CCSU bring experienced sprinters to the table as well as Amherst, which has a strong distance team and excels in the field events.

To combat their opponents, the Minutemen will have a variety of athletes of different ages to help the team. Upperclassmen such as Tyler Cotto will lead the sprinting team, after a successful indoor season as well as underclassmen such as freshmen Joe Doyle and Nick Otis who had successful indoor seasons in the mid-distance events and look to continue that success in the spring.

Sophomore hurdler and jumper Zachary Koncki qualified for the New England Championships last weekend in the long jump and 110-meter hurdles, and will likely lead the jumping events. Tyler Cotto will lead the sprinting team, coming off a successful indoor season during the winter.

Both the men and women have strong throwing teams. Senior Chris Vercollone, who won the javelin throw last weekend, throwing for the fifth-best distance at UMass, will be a factor. Lisa Wilson, a thrower for the women, excels in the shot put, discus and hammer throw.     

The meet begins at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday. UMass will also host the A-10 Championships later in the spring.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.